Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Culture in Canada

Options
  • 24-01-2021 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I am thinking of making the move once all this over. So fingers crossed in the autumn. I will be graduating with a degree in Data Science and Analytics soon and have worked many years in the insurance industry so if and when I move over there I'd hopefully working in one of these fields. I am just wondering what the work culture is like in Canada? I already know in general annual leave is around half of what we get in Ireland so my worry is there is very much a live to work attitude over there. While when I am on the job I work hard I'd hate to move there and find I spend every waking hour working and not actually having time to enjoy living in Canada. Just wondering what your experiences are of working in Canada? Any data scientists out there have any tips in getting in to the industry I'd appreciate it. I'll be a new graduate in the field and will have very little experience when I go over there.

Edit: This might also make a difference. At the moment the plan is to go to Toronto, perhaps Vancouver. I know both are very expensive cities so circumstance might mean I will live elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Hi guys, I am thinking of making the move once all this over. So fingers crossed in the autumn. I will be graduating with a degree in Data Science and Analytics soon and have worked many years in the insurance industry so if and when I move over there I'd hopefully working in one of these fields. I am just wondering what the work culture is like in Canada? I already know in general annual leave is around half of what we get in Ireland so my worry is there is very much a live to work attitude over there. While when I am on the job I work hard I'd hate to move there and find I spend every waking hour working and not actually having time to enjoy living in Canada. Just wondering what your experiences are of working in Canada? Any data scientists out there have any tips in getting in to the industry I'd appreciate it. I'll be a new graduate in the field and will have very little experience when I go over there.

Edit: This might also make a difference. At the moment the plan is to go to Toronto, perhaps Vancouver. I know both are very expensive cities so circumstance might mean I will live elsewhere.

I think Canada is generally moving away from the 10 days annual leave a year. I get 15 days. I think 10 days is the minimum, so I'm sure some companies still only offer 10, but like I say the move is towards offering 15-20. Probably depends on your field of work. I'm not in data science or insurance, so can't speak to that specifically.

Also, you typically get 6 days 'sick leave'. The attitude to these is very different here to Ireland. The attitude is that as well as being sick days, they are also 'mental health' days. Basically, just you just feel like you need a day off, without actually being sick, then it's perfectly acceptable to take one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I would deffo try to negotiate 15 days into the contract. Wait until you're offered the job and then ask before you accept. Most employers will have no issue with giving you the extra 5. With more experience you can pretty easily carry this forward to your next job and with enough experience you can start adding days to it.
    I mostly agree with the sick days or 'personal' days as they are also called. Just don't be taking the piss with it. I feel like the more skilled the job the more respect you get from your employer and the more wiggle room and leeway you get for things like time off and such.
    Many jobs also allow you to bank time instead of getting paid overtime. This can be great for two reasons. You can add the bank time to unused holidays to get two decent trips a year, say summer and one in winter around Christmas time. Also, you're not getting taxed on time off so it can actually be worth more than taking the pay.

Good luck in the job search.

Advertisement