Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcheck mileage discrepancy - INMR vs MOT mileage

Options
  • 22-01-2021 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Been looking for a car for a while and was just about to purchase a UK import from an Irish dealer who brought the car in themselves. Ran a Motorcheck and it's flagging a mileage discrepancy based on INMR data versus MOT data. Prefer not to link to the car so the dealer isn't unfairly linked to this if it's a data entry error.

It's a 2017 car - Motorcheck is showing (ballpark):
    • Current mileage on the car odometer = 15,000 km (yes, 15k km)
    • UK MOT 2020 = 14,000km
    • INMR 2019 = 39,000km

I've rounded these figures just for clarity. None of these figures end in a zero (e.g. the 39,000 is actually 39,659km) so it seems less likely to be a case of someone accidentally adding a zero to the end when inputting the data.

The car was only brought into Ireland a month ago so the two year old INMR data is from when the car was in the UK - does data entered in the UK get uploaded to the INMR or is this likely a data entry error?

Even if it's a data entry error within Ireland, I don't understand how this could even occur because the car didn't have an Irish reg until a month ago so how could data be entered for an Irish car registration that didn't exist at that time?

I was beyond surprised with the mileage when first finding it and looking at it but it appear spotless, engine bay looked prestine (though they can be washed?). Motorcheck shows only one previous owner and the dealer is saying they have paper work validating that owner as being a main dealer in the UK so the discrepancy has to be an error on Motorcheck/INMR's side.

I've submitted the details to Motorcheck for their investigation thing but curious if this seems more like data entry error or legit clocking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is there a service history?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭User1998

The unfortunate thing is that weather its a genuine mistake or not, when you try to sell the car people will see a mileage discrepancy and they will walk away. They won’t investigate further like you are. If this was a private seller selling the car you’d have just moved on to the next car. Dealers probably won’t take it as a trade in either. May not be an issue if you plan on keeping the car for 10+ years as it will be worth very little by then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭redsheeps

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is there a service history?

Motorcheck have come back saying it's a data entry error but no details on how the error occurred.

It has no service history. The BCA online sales report I was shown lists the sale as BMW Group Online Only, that it has no service history, and that the mileage is warranted. Would have thought that even though the service intervals are condition based services that it would have at least had an oil change after at least two years?

The guy selling it seems to have taken this as a personal slight after I highlighted the discrepancy and said he feels interrogated by us now. I'm 50:50 on this being a dented ego, he's spooked, or he's genuinely pissed off that a data entry occurred - I was happy to go ahead but his attitude since this though is putting me off going ahead more than anything. All I did was say the check showed a discrepancy and asked if he had documentation that would help to confirm the mileage - as best as I could tell I wasn't accusatory and didn't accuse him of messing with the car.
    User1998 wrote: »
    The unfortunate thing is that weather its a genuine mistake or not, when you try to sell the car people will see a mileage discrepancy and they will walk away. They won’t investigate further like you are. If this was a private seller selling the car you’d have just moved on to the next car. Dealers probably won’t take it as a trade in either. May not be an issue if you plan on keeping the car for 10+ years as it will be worth very little by then anyway.

Motorcheck have sent a two line response saying it was a data entry error but no details on how that occurred or who entered the data incorrectly.

I had read that although the car has a condition based service interval that they should still be serviced after 2 years, and the incorrect data entry occurred when the car was 2 years old, which had me thinking a technician serviced it and entered the mileage at that time.

Motorcheck have said they will amend their records to remove the discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,171 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but this has just happened to me as well.

I just checked a car we have use as a town run around since 2019. It has low Kms for a 5 yr old car because we have a larger car we use for longer journeys. Just checked it on motorcheck to get a valuation and it came up as 520,000kms entered in November 2022, there is currently just over 50k kms on clock.

Not sure if it’s their mistake, INMR’s mistake or garage’s mistake as the car was serviced around that time. The 2023 NCT has correct mileage.

If I hadn’t checked, I would have had a problem when trading in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭User1998

Its still going to be a problem trading in regardless of you knowing about it or not. You need to contact them and tell them to remove it. They should do it if you can prove its a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,171 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve emailed motocheck and INMR, will talk to garage in am. I’m just glad I checked, thinking of buying an ID3 so I would have been pissed off if the VW garage thought I clocked a 5 yr old car.

Advertisement