Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid Shopping Delivery lead to a bad credit score

Options
  • 22-01-2021 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a situation with a SuperValu order I had delivered on Wednesday, it was scheduled for delivery on Wednesday 7pm but on Wednesday 4pm I got a call from SuperValu to mention the payment was declined so I spent from 4pm to 7pm ringing the store and chatting via the web chat to resolve the issue to no avail, they did deliver the shop anyway without it being paid.

I have updated the card again online to a different bank PTSB this time before I was using Revolut and each time it took 1c to verify the card but when the shop tries to take the money it gets declined.

I rang the shop to ask for the transaction ID they could not provide it, they told me to speak to my bank I said I’ve no information to provide to the bank I asked for the time the transaction was taken I was told “I’m busy I’ll ring you again later”.

I am exhausted at this point of all possible resolutions.

Can this result in a bad credit score if it doesn’t get paid?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

No it wont

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

stevek93 wrote: »

Only if they win a judgement in court against you, and they won't do this for the price of a normal weekly shop.

Worse that can happen is that you might never be able to order from that store again...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Supervalu dont operate in the USA, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Only if they win a judgement in court against you, and they won't do this for the price of a normal weekly shop.

Worse that can happen is that you might never be able to order from that store again...

Thanks and I don’t think I want to order again.

ED E wrote: »

You know what I mean credit rating if I was to apply for a loan. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dubrov

ED E wrote:

There's still a credit record in Ireland that would affect your ability to procure a loan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Declined card transactions cannot affect credit scores. There is any number of valid reasons for a declined transaction and it happens to nearly everyone. E.g. I've a credit card registered for eTolling. Every few years a payment gets declined because the card is then past its end date.

BTW, if you are using Revolut and one-time virtual cards, beware that some sites do issue a pending 1 cent transaction as a means of verifying the card details. Should not do this really, but in this instance the 1c charge causes the disposable number to disappear and the subsequent actual transaction to fail.

dubrov wrote: »
    There's still a credit record in Ireland that would affect your ability to procure a loan

Yes I needed it to be clean for my mortgage application, well it was never bad in the first place and wish to keep it that way.

Declined card transactions cannot affect credit scores. There is any number of valid reasons for a declined transaction and it happens to nearly everyone. E.g. I've a credit card registered for eTolling. Every few years a payment gets declined because the card is then past its end date.

BTW, if you are using Revolut and one-time virtual cards, beware that some sites do issue a pending 1 cent transaction as a means of verifying the card details. Should not do this really, but in this instance the 1c charge causes the disposable number to disappear and the subsequent actual transaction to fail.

Yes I got charged the 1c and I wasn't using the disposable card, that's why I don't understand why they are failing to take the payment.

Both my PTSB card and Revolut got charged 1c but the shop when they tried it got declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Am I reading correctly? SV still delivered without payment? If so fair play, I'm sure they'll be happy once you sort it asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes I got charged the 1c and I wasn't using the disposable card, that's why I don't understand why they are failing to take the payment.

Both my PTSB card and Revolut got charged 1c but the shop when they tried it got declined.

It failed because you revolut stored address doesn't match the address you have to supervalu. One of the most common fails.

Am I reading correctly? SV still delivered without payment? If so fair play, I'm sure they'll be happy once you sort it asap

Yes fair play to them.

listermint wrote: »
    It failed because you revolut stored address doesn't match the address you have to supervalu. One of the most common fails.

What about the PTSB failure?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No money ? :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only actual credit agreements can report to the CCR; this is not one.

No money ? :P

No there is over 1k in the account. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

Isn't this Super Valu's problem?

OP has the food, if SV want the cash they'll have to chat to the OP "when they have time".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't know about PTSB, but if you look at the Revolut transaction in the app, I'm pretty sure it will say that it will be reverted in one week if it is not claimed by the retailer.

As you've clarified that both cards got charged 1c then it looks like the website card processing is working fine, but the back end system in the shop has a problem when it comes to processing the actual charge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

My KBC Credit Card was frozen, and I was contacted by the fraud department, with SuperValu online shopping. I was changing my order, and each time it charged 1c to the card (this gets reverted). The small transaction raised a suspicion on the bank's side, but I explained I understood the transaction, and it was OK. Ever since it has been fine using that card with my online shop.
    You will need to speak to PTSB - they are declining the transaction, and need your approval to allow it properly.

I don't know about PTSB, but if you look at the Revolut transaction in the app, I'm pretty sure it will say that it will be reverted in one week if it is not claimed by the retailer.

As you've clarified that both cards got charged 1c then it looks like the website card processing is working fine, but the back end system in the shop has a problem when it comes to processing the actual charge.

There is no history in the Revolut app of the shop trying to process the payment nor is there any history in the online statements for the PTSB account.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I find SVs app and website to be flaky at best, particularly with login. My wife can login, but I can't with the same details. Crashing a bit recently too.

Staplor wrote: »
    Isn't this Super Valu's problem?

OP has the food, if SV want the cash they'll have to chat to the OP "when they have time".

I am trying to do the moral thing and pay for my shop. :D

cee_jay wrote: »
    My KBC Credit Card was frozen, and I was contacted by the fraud department, with SuperValu online shopping. I was changing my order, and each time it charged 1c to the card (this gets reverted). The small transaction raised a suspicion on the bank's side, but I explained I understood the transaction, and it was OK. Ever since it has been fine using that card with my online shop.
    You will need to speak to PTSB - they are declining the transaction, and need your approval to allow it properly.

That sounds like what is up alright, it is my other half's PTSB card when work is finished this evening will give them a call.

Okay I rang PTSB, there is no history of attempted payment today.

I have proposed to SuperValu in an email that the delivery driver can take a cash payment if he drives to my house provided a receipt is produced.

I am not entertaining them anymore.

Thanks all for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Staplor

I am trying to do the moral thing and pay for my shop. :D

Yes, I understand this, but you tried and they are too busy to help you. There's a limit to how many times you can offer payment, the stress, hassle, anguish shouldn't on you. You've already tried so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Okay I rang PTSB, there is no history of attempted payment today.

I have proposed to SuperValu in an email that the delivery driver can take a cash payment if he drives to my house provided a receipt is produced.

I am not entertaining them anymore.

Thanks all for the replies.

Sounds like you just don’t want to pay for a full shop.

Don’t be a scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The automated payment systems don't even check the name on the card, not to mention the details of the billing address. If both addresses are in EU, payment always goes through for me.

Revolut has advanced measures though - I remember having to switch off the location tracking in the app. Otherwise they compare if phone location is in the proximity of the merchant trying to charge the card. Never reliably worked...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

callaway92 wrote: »

Don’t be a scumbag

You must be joking.

OP made an effort to chase them up. I would just send an email stating that it seems I haven't been charged for my order ref. ABC, this is my phone number to contact me. SuperValu can chase it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

grogi wrote: »
    You must be joking.

OP made an effort to chase them up. I would just send an email stating that it seems I haven't been charged for my order ref. ABC, this is my phone number to contact me. SuperValu can chase it themselves.

Exactly , take it to email , at least that leaves a trail. Send an email and let them chase you .

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »

Don’t be a scumbag

Ive rang the shop 10 times probably at this stage trying for for them to take the payment, I’ve sent them 5 emails none of my emails have been replied to, I’ve been on their web chat countless times asking for them to try the payment again, they can’t answer why the transaction is failing they can’t provide the transaction ID or a date and time when the transaction was taken. The bank cannot see any history of any attempted transactions, what else am I meant to do?

Advertisement