Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about aircraft sighted

Options
  • 22-01-2021 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone on this forum would have any idea what two aircraft flew overhead here this morning. I live in Connemara, close to Rosaveal harbour, this morning (didn't take note of the time, roughly guessing 10am) I heard a very loud noise of engines. My oh thought it was a load of motorbikes driving past really fast but I realised it was coming from above. I went to a window and I could see that two smallish planes had just passed over, flying in tandem fast and low. By the time I got to the window they were too far to make much out, plus they were flying directly away from me in a WNW direction. I watched one kind of swoop and pitch before lining up again alongside the other. They seemed to be heading out to sea. We have the Aer Arann planes flying around here daily but have no idea what these aircraft were. I didn't think the Air Corps did any training flights this far west. Just wondering if anyone here might know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone on this forum would have any idea what two aircraft flew overhead here this morning. I live in Connemara, close to Rosaveal harbour, this morning (didn't take note of the time, roughly guessing 10am) I heard a very loud noise of engines. My oh thought it was a load of motorbikes driving past really fast but I realised it was coming from above. I went to a window and I could see that two smallish planes had just passed over, flying in tandem fast and low. By the time I got to the window they were too far to make much out, plus they were flying directly away from me in a WNW direction. I watched one kind of swoop and pitch before lining up again alongside the other. They seemed to be heading out to sea. We have the Aer Arann planes flying around here daily but have no idea what these aircraft were. I didn't think the Air Corps did any training flights this far west. Just wondering if anyone here might know?

Could have been the Air Corps two PC9s flew around Galway last week on a training flight .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Could have been the Air Corps two PC9s flew around Galway last week on a training flight .

Friend confirmed it was 2 Air Corps PC9s that flew in connemara this morning he saw them fly past him. They used call sign "Eagle"

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Friend confirmed it was 2 Air Corps PC9s that flew in connemara this morning he saw them fly past him. They used call sign "Eagle"

Thanks for that, I figured alright the most likely answer was Air Corps planes but was curious to check because I've never seen them fly over here this far west in my 40+ years living here. We see plenty of the Air Corps helicopters alright on medvac calls but first time seeing the planes flying round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

They often use the Mountains there for low level training. They lost a PC9M there, and both crew not far from Leenane some years ago.

Advertisement