Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Machine polishing a cermic coated car?

• 22-01-2021 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭

Had the car ceramic coated a couple of years ago, and it is time to deal with some light swirls.

I'm assuming the DA using Scholl S20 will remove the ceramic coating, I'm OK with that, but is there anything technique wise required given the coating?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think you should chemically strip the coating first.
    I don’t think I’d take the chance of going straight in with machine.

Fallout remover
    Iron remover
    Clay

Is what I’d try first.

OT : are you reapply a new coating? How did you find the existing coating ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's impossible to "chemically strip" a ceramic coating...that's the whole point of them bar you use something that will strip all the paint along with it.

There's nothing really different to what you want to do compared to doing a paint correction. Once the swirling is gone, the coating is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Gumbo wrote: »
    OT : are you reapply a new coating? How did you find the existing coating ?

Not going to reapply the ceramic again, and it's hard to say if it was much benefit as the car is cleaned weekly anyway. Lately I've been using spray waxes like TW sealant and found them to be fantastic, great protection and so easy to apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,585 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Not going to reapply the ceramic again, and it's hard to say if it was much benefit as the car is cleaned weekly anyway. Lately I've been using spray waxes like TW sealant and found them to be fantastic, great protection and so easy to apply.

I am in the same boat as you.
    Not entirely sure if ceramic / Graphene coatings are the way to go.
    Something maybe you should try, I have had fantastic results with this combo.

Sonax PNS, aerosol, can be a little grabby to apply but fantastic product.
    Top this with a VERY light mist on Sonax BSD after avery few washes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

vectra wrote: »
    I am in the same boat as you.
    Not entirely sure if ceramic / Graphene coatings are the way to go.
    Something maybe you should try, I have had fantastic results with this combo.

Sonax PNS, aerosol, can be a little grabby to apply but fantastic product.
    Top this with a VERY light mist on Sonax BSD after avery few washes.

LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,585 ✭✭✭✭vectra

LOL :D

I have a feeling you are confusing my suggestion with PMS :D:pac::pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’m similar. Have held off getting a full ceramic coating as I generally have second hand cars, don’t keep them long. If I bought brand new, then I’d seriously consider it.

I generally wash every chance I get (less in winter months with weather) but I would normally use meguairs ceramic hybrid spray, found that good in the past. I’m gonna test out P&S Beadmaker in a few weeks as I’m gonna decontaminate the current car as I haven’t done it yet. You’d have thought with all the lock downs, it would be done by now!

Just been keeping it clean with Reflect Quick Detailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I mainly use something like carpro lite or gyeon cancoat, just top it up with gyeon wet coat in the winter. Not really interested in anymore than 12 months protection

Advertisement