Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown Wireless Signal

Options
  • 21-01-2021 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Hi all, looking for some guidance.

A few days ago I physically disconnected my UniFi AP AC Lite. It had been broadcasting one signal called "2.4" and a second one called "5". Although the access point has been disconnected, devices in the house are still showing the "5" signal as being available. I have connected to it however it shows as having no internet.

Any idea what is broadcasting the signal or how I find it. I live in a rural area so don't think it's coming from anywhere other than within the house.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Any idea what is broadcasting the signal or how I find it. I live in a rural area so don't think it's coming from anywhere other than within the house.

Perhaps the devices are "remembering" the former signal and listing it, but when they try to connect, it's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Perhaps the devices are "remembering" the former signal and listing it, but when they try to connect, it's not there.

If I'm not in the house the signal doesn't show but once I come in it appears in the available networks list so I presume that means something is broadcasting it. The 2.4 signal is completely gone as you would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The AP is just that, an AP. Meaning you have an independent router somewhere... probably that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭niallb

What devices does your Unifi controller say are currently active?
    It will copy network settings to any managed devices if it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

For Android there's an app called WiFi analyzer you could use to help you find where the signal is strongest. You can see the MAC address and Google the first 6 characters to identify the AP brand if it's not generic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

For windows there is InSSIDer

Also, check your main router or any extenders you might use. Could have same SSID set and forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Hi all, looking for some guidance.

A few days ago I physically disconnected my UniFi AP AC Lite. It had been broadcasting one signal called "2.4" and a second one called "5". Although the access point has been disconnected, devices in the house are still showing the "5" signal as being available. I have connected to it however it shows as having no internet.

Thanks

Is the AP still powered on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Got one of those wifi repeater plugs still plugged in?

I had disconnected all my access points so my Unifi Controller showed no active devices.

I had to turn off my modem when moving it and since rebooting, the phantom signal is gone. I obviously had the modem in bridge mode to use the access points so I don't know how it would have been broadcasting the signal.

I had disconnected all my access points so my Unifi Controller showed no active devices.

I had to turn off my modem when moving it and since rebooting, the phantom signal is gone. I obviously had the modem in bridge mode to use the access points so I don't know how it would have been broadcasting the signal.
    Don't think bridge mode disable WiFi, if it was set up/enabled it would continue broadcast

• Advertisement

Don't think bridge mode disable WiFi, if it was set up/enabled it would continue broadcast

I definitely had WiFi disabled on it, my understanding is that my WiFi was enabled by the access points.

I definitely had WiFi disabled on it, my understanding is that my WiFi was enabled by the access points.
    Cant see AP would have "power" to enable WiFi on other device without your interaction...
    But i don't know what devices in "play" and you always can attempt to replicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Think he was talking about wireless bridging, not RFC WAN bridging.

ED E wrote: »
    Think he was talking about wireless bridging, not RFC WAN bridging.
    Ah, OK..., but even if it was point-to-point bridge, once bridge "broken", host device continue to broadcast, wouldn't that turn it into just ordinary AP?

Advertisement