Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do with old routers and wifi equipment?

Options
  • 21-01-2021 10:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

There's been two new looking routers and a bunch of cables etc in this place I moved into a bout 18 months ago.

I'm trying to clear out some drawers and storage etc but, I can't actually bring myself to throw this shiny electronic equipment into the garbage.

I have no use for them of any kind.

Surely there's electronics stores that could make use of this type of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

There's been two new looking routers and a bunch of cables etc in this place I moved into a bout 18 months ago.

I'm trying to clear out some drawers and storage etc but, I can't actually bring myself to throw this shiny electronic equipment into the garbage.

I have no use for them of any kind.

Surely there's electronics stores that could make use of this type of thing?
    What are those, make/model ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Stick them up on adverts/donedeal/gumtree as a freebie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭ablelocks

repurpose them as extenders or whatever else they can be repurposed as? bear in mind, i too have a number of these in a drawer and don't have a clue as to how to go about it....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

What are those, make/model ?

One is Netgear.

The other I have no idea but it's pristine.

One is Netgear.

The other I have no idea but it's pristine.
    Labels on them should have required info
    Post pics here, it could be worth something.

As mentioned above you could give away for free or even make few bobs for hassle advertising them on web. Nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement

P0dmfo7.jpg?1

rtxzT9V.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

The Netgear is old-school, not sure about the VM one.

Would they accept this gear in CeX?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭dam099

As mentioned the Netgear is old, probably not worth their while.

I doubt they would touch the VM gear, technically it's still their property and unlike Eir/Vodafone etc it cant be repurposed for much, the WAN (Internet) side is locked to the account holder, might be able to use as an extender/access point if you plugged into LAN but not sure.

degsie wrote: »
    Stick them up on adverts/donedeal/gumtree as a freebie?

Yeah - one day and gone.

Relieved they didn't have to go to the landfill and someone can make use of them.

• Advertisement

Some dude just e-mailed me asking about SIM cards associated with the routers.

Is it possible I could have compromised someones personal data/details by just giving their routers away?

I never used these routers, they were left in this apartment.

Anything to be concerned about?

Some dude just e-mailed me asking about SIM cards associated with the routers.

Is it possible I could have compromised someones personal data/details by just giving their routers away?

I never used these routers, they were left in this apartment.

Anything to be concerned about?
    SIM cards ?

Netgear takes no SIM, still not sure what was Virgin device.

Advertisement