Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like to not be rich?

Options
  • 21-01-2021 2:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭

Genuine question. I come from a family of businessmen, gamblers and millionaires. My branch of the family decided to settle in a modest south Dublin suburb, not exactly glamorous but quietly secure in the sense that I never wanted for anything growing up. All the toys and distractions were easily bought, and by the time I was an adult it was easy for me to quadruple the fund given to me by my parents.

They practically groomed me into finance, even though it wasn't my primary focus of education, they made sure I knew the ins and outs, the pitfalls and hidden routes only people who have spent decades in the quagmire of stocks and bonds would know. But the long story short is, I'm living off passive income (about 120k a year after taxes) and retired at 25.

I'm looking back at the times I've been ignorant of people who are less well off than me. Particularly in school, uni, and even just being out with people. My parents made sure I grew up around what they call 'real people' instead of the children raised by money and know only money like my cousins. And yeah I don't have much in the way of consequences, because if something broke, you just paid for it. If you were bored you just went somewhere, and there were no concern for anything. So I'm not mad with wealth, but I'm still detached from the day to day life of a regular person.

I mean aside from worrying if things are expensive, do most people live in constant ontological fear of things that are expensive? I notice in boards.ie there are a ton of posts complaining that such and such clothes or products should be banned because they're too expensive or something or other. I don't understand these posts, but I assume its a glimpse into the mind of a normal person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'll come back when I stop laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Arah tis grand sure.

Aongus Von Bismarck's piss-poor cousin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Look, to me its not just a matter of having more than the other person. To me its a sense of security, and being able to focus on inward health. Whether its synergizing my chakra or toning my muscles, I make sure that every day I become a better person than I was yesterday. I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

source.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Have you ever watched the young offenders? That will give you a good idea what the poorer people of ireland have to do to survive these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

Do you buy Cocaine by the Kilo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Thought stomach crunches had been debunked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Look, to me its not just a matter of having more than the other person. To me its a sense of security, and being able to focus on inward health. Whether its synergizing my chakra or toning my muscles, I make sure that every day I become a better person than I was yesterday. I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

I have met Brett Easton Ellis, he was richer and more privileged than you and writing bestsellers aged 21.

Get on with it.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I have met Brett Easton Ellis, he was richer and more privileged than you and writing bestsellers aged 21.

Get on with it.

Yes and? This is about people who are lesser than me.

• Advertisement

If you were all that well off you wouldnt need free re reg accounts to get your amateur witterings published

If you were all that well off you wouldnt need free re reg accounts to get your amateur witterings published

Nah, im a millionaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,644 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The super rich never talk about money.

The super rich never talk about money.

Not to lower tier people. They talk about money all the time to each other though.

But I'm not super rich, I'm just rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

You may be one of the only members on here who have never had to use some commonly know endless list of daily tactics of survival
    E.g.
    Buying the finest bottom shelf wine lidl has to offer
    Leftover food is generally good the next day or two
    Use by/best before dates are more so a guideline
    Trainers are grand for any occasion
    A simple smell test can determine the quality of milk
    Getting a tea in starbucks is acceptable
    Getting vaccinated will help you avoid natural selection

The list is endless and ive just wasted ten mins on my pointless attempt at humor...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,644 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not to lower tier people. They talk about money all the time to each other though.

But I'm not super rich, I'm just rich.

They don't, it would be like someone in a call centre talking about their day job down the pub of an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Hellotonever, may i impose on your benevolence and ask are you tired of people mocking you for being rich

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The condescension is strong with this one - thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement