Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Washing Machine

Options
  • 20-01-2021 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭

I have a 15 year old Hotpoint Aquarius machine and when I turn it on and select a full wash cycle program the drum doesn't fill with water. Its like its on pause with the door lock and wash cycle button both lit up red and a humming noise coming from the machine. When I press the start/stop button and switch the dial to either the final spin or rinse @ spin cycle for example the drum starts too turn and the machine finishes this job selection. Can anyone recommend a solution. Is it a plumber I need? Is the machine on its last legs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Your cold water intake filter could be blocked up with limescale or dirt.
    Clean it or remove it temporarily to see if it fixes the issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5D5Yfudxbs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

ongarite wrote: »
    Your cold water intake filter could be blocked up with limescale or dirt.
    Clean it or remove it temporarily to see if it fixes the issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5D5Yfudxbs

Thanks for the reply. I don't see those 2 water inlet valves as per the video at the back of the machine. It's a Hotpoint Aquarius WD440 machine. I have 2 tubes going into the back of it apart from the power cable. When I turn anti clockwise a blue nut type screw where one of the tubes goes in water comes out. The other tube is thicker in diameter and is at the bottom of the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,335 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

billyhead wrote: »
    I have 2 tubes going into the back of it apart from the power cable. When I turn anti clockwise a blue nut type screw where one of the tubes goes in water comes out. The other tube is thicker in diameter and is at the bottom of the machine.

That hose with the 'blue nut type screw' is probably the water inlet. Blue indicates it's a cold water feed, there was a time when washing machines (mainly UK models) could take hot and cold so the feeds and the inlets on the washing machine were colour coded red and blue.

Is there a lever on the hose very near the connection to the washing machine? Turning that through 90 degrees will turn off the flow and allows you to disconnect/connect the water feed when you get a new machine or to inspect the inlet filter.

The thicker tube is probably the waste pipe, you should be able to follow that pipe to a nearby drain to confirm that that's what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

coylemj wrote: »
    That hose with the 'blue nut type screw' is probably the water inlet. Blue indicates it's a cold water feed, there was a time when washing machines (mainly UK models) could take hot and cold so the feeds and the inlets on the washing machine were colour coded red and blue.

Is there a lever on the hose very near the connection to the washing machine? Turning that through 90 degrees will turn off the flow and allows you to disconnect/connect the water feed when you get a new machine or to inspect the inlet filter.

The thicker tube is probably the waste pipe, you should be able to follow that pipe to a nearby drain to confirm that that's what it is.

Cheers. There's only the thick grey pipe and the thinner one with the blue valve. I unscrewed this earlier and water came out. There was nothing to clean i.e like in the you tube video. I suppose I'm probably best off getting a repair guy out to look at it:(

Advertisement