Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira electric shower

Options
  • 20-01-2021 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    We have a mira elite QT which is powered by a switched spur outside the bathroom. Recently i've noticed the red light flickering on the spur (and the green light on the shower flickering too) especially when you hold your finger over it. Powering on the shower works, it turns on and the light goes steady so clearly 220v is getting to the shower. I don't think it's a loose neutral as the RCBO trips very quickly when I press the test button.

Any ideas? Something I should get an electrician in to have a look at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Is the QT not a pumped electric shower, presume you mean wall switch, they do flicker the leds sometimes

Only thing you can do is get it investigated

Any heat at the switch when running, are you getting full heat from the shower

You could remove the covers at both and check for heat damage if you're competent

• Registered Users Posts: 16,882 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It could be a faulty RCBO, a faulty isolation switch or it could be nothing at all. If you are concerned I'd get a REC in to fully test it & issue you with a safety certificate. Your not going to have the equipment nor the knowhow to be able to test it yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It could be a faulty RCBO, a faulty isolation switch or it could be nothing at all. If you are concerned I'd get a REC in to fully test it & issue you with a safety certificate. Your not going to have the equipment nor the knowhow to be able to test it yourself

True probably not worth doing anything

If you do notice damage you have to pay someone anyway to fix it safely

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Its after getting worse this morning, the shower will only turn on if i fiddle with the switch.
    https://youtu.be/AN1y96bwQuE
    https://youtu.be/wfUgSmwEH40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Lockheed wrote: »
    Its after getting worse this morning, the shower will only turn on if i fiddle with the switch.
    https://youtu.be/AN1y96bwQuE
    https://youtu.be/wfUgSmwEH40

Looks like a faulty switch or loose connection behind it. Open up and investigate

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    Looks like a faulty switch or loose connection behind it. Open up and investigate

Inside there was a loose neutral and phase and neutral were not twisted either, pretty severe scorching on neutral side. New faceplate has gone in, a white plastic one and all works ok now!
    thanks for the help

Turn power off obviously
    That’s not a switched spur either as indicated in your first post.

Turn power off obviously
    That’s not a switched spur either as indicated in your first post.

Learning more now anyway. My uncle came in and sorted it he is a reci

Lockheed wrote: »
    Inside there was a loose neutral and phase and neutral were not twisted either, pretty severe scorching on neutral side. New faceplate has gone in, a white plastic one and all works ok now!
    thanks for the help

Make sure the scorched cables are removed (stripped back)and remade. Tighten connections with the biggest screwdriver that’ll fit the screw slot.

Make sure the scorched cables are removed (stripped back)and remade. Tighten connections with the biggest screwdriver that’ll fit the screw slot.

Everything was sorted scorched were stripped and was tightened as well as possible. My next question is that would this be a cause for concern, we bought the house from an engineer who worked at Mercury in dublin and he did all the wiring himself. Should we also check other connections, we never got a RECI cert when house was bought

• Advertisement
Advertisement