Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering plywood in Acrylic primer

Options
  • 20-01-2021 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi There,
    I was building a shed to be covered in metal, the metal guy said the side walls would end up scuffed to bits. so I've decided to go with barrel board or some kinda tongue and groove wood on the side.

the question is, would there be an issue painting the acrylic primer (basically making a plastic coating) on the exterior ply to temporarily give the shed some waterproofing before I get the external wood on?

Shed.jpg?raw=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭listermint

magnethead wrote: »
    Hi There,
    I was building a shed to be covered in metal, the metal guy said the side walls would end up scuffed to bits. so I've decided to go with barrel board or some kinda tongue and groove wood on the side.

the question is, would there be an issue painting the acrylic primer (basically making a plastic coating) on the exterior ply to temporarily give the shed some waterproofing before I get the external wood on?

Shed.jpg?raw=1

Wrap the wood in breathable membrane. That will keep the walls dry and allow the timber to breathe also.

There's various threads here with shed sidings on them look at the search function.

In terms of metal getting scratches is it you have dogs ? Otherwise I don't see how.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

listermint wrote: »
    In terms of metal getting scratches is it you have dogs ? Otherwise I don't see how.

Thanks , I'll check out the membranes
    The metal guy was saying in his experience, the aluminum sheeting would get scuffed by bicycles, etc... he said it wouldn't look that good in a few years. No dogs :) yet...

Advertisement