Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairline crack in new tiles (new house)

Options
  • 19-01-2021 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Bought new house a month ago and tiled the kitchen. Just noticed a hairline crack along one tile (adjacent to the patio double doors, coming from the exterior wall).

Could this be settling? I think then it would be better to wait a bit before changing the tile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Settling more than likely, I wouldn't be in any rush to fix cracks for a year or so until everything settles a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Settling more than likely, I wouldn't be in any rush to fix cracks for a year or so until everything settles a bit

That’s what I thought. I have a spare box of tiles. Hopefully won’t need too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Did you tile directly onto the concrete?
    If you did then you should have added a decoupling membrane. It allows the concrete to move without the same movement transferring to the tiles.

Did you tile directly onto the concrete?
    If you did then you should have added a decoupling membrane. It allows the concrete to move without the same movement transferring to the tiles.

Tiling was done by builder. I wouldn't know

Tiling was done by builder. I wouldn't know

It will still be under warranty then and i would get them to have a look.

If its tile stuck directly onto the underlying concrete then i would be asking them to replace the whole lot and do it properly as you will get cracking. In 6 months or 5 years even minor cracks in the concrete below will come up and crack your tiles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It will still be under warranty then and i would get them to have a look.

If its tile stuck directly onto the underlying concrete then i would be asking them to replace the whole lot and do it properly as you will get cracking. In 6 months or 5 years even minor cracks in the concrete below will come up and crack your tiles.

That would be very odd tbh. I'd expect plasterboard. Tiling would be the last thing to be done.

listermint wrote: »
    That would be very odd tbh. I'd expect plasterboard. Tiling would be the last thing to be done.

You expect plasterboard under the tiles?

Entire rooms are just boarded including the kitchen. It's cheaper to do all in one go.Then units are installed. So yes tiles would be behind the board.

Tiles were placed on top of concrete, not sure about membrane. I’ll wait a couple months and if it gets worse I’ll speak with the foreman

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Do you have underfloor heating? If tiles aren't thick enough .....cracks will develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

I think one of you is thinking floor tiles, another wall tiles?

Tails142 wrote: »
    I think one of you is thinking floor tiles, another wall tiles?

Assumed as the OP mentioned exterior wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Do you have underfloor heating? If tiles aren't thick enough .....cracks will develop.

With underfloor heating the issue is not to do with the thickness of the tiles but the changes in temperature near doorways.

If the insulation wasn't returned up along the perimeter footings then tiles will crack at doorways.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

No underfloor heating. Crack is barely visible, but I will monitor it weekly

No underfloor heating. Crack is barely visible, but I will monitor it weekly

Could be just because it's a badly laid tile that is in a high traffic spot, make sure to get some spare tiles asap if you don't already have some as suppliers change stock often and you might not be able to get some later on.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Could be just because it's a badly laid tile that is in a high traffic spot, make sure to get some spare tiles asap if you don't already have some as suppliers change stock often and you might not be able to get some later on.

Have three tiles as spare. May buy another box though (2 per box 60x120)

Have three tiles as spare. May buy another box though (2 per box 60x120)

I could be totally wrong but the size of them would lead me to surmise that it is actually just a case of that particular tile not being bedded properly.

A tile that size is very unforgiving when trying to give a snooker table finish and when near the end of the job at the perimeter of the room a tiler would probably be less inclined to lift a tile that size and check for full contact of bedding if it looked perfect from the top.

Whatever the issue is I hope it's nothing to worry about.

Advertisement