Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ZV reg question

• 19-01-2021 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi all..

I'm thinking of buying a 1990 4x4 (not commercial) that was imported from the UK last year and unfortunately put on ZV plates but the number seems low for 2020... It's a 5 digit plate starting with ZV119_ _ , sound right?

Also any of the UK mot checkers only show details from 2006 to 2008 for the old UK reg which seems strange..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

kop77 wrote: »
    Hi all..

I'm thinking of buying a 1990 4x4 (not commercial) that was imported from the UK last year and unfortunately put on ZV plates but the number seems low for 2020... It's a 5 digit plate starting with ZV119_ _ , sound right?

Also any of the UK mot checkers only show details from 2006 to 2008 for the old UK reg which seems strange..?

It was registered in Dublin so, I imported a car a couple of years ago and it was ZV 111xx.
    Unfortunately you’re stuck with that reg, you can change from a year to ZV but not ZV to year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It's a 5 digit plate starting with ZV119_ _ , sound right?

Sounds right. Dublin 2nd allocation is 7201 to 17200 I think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Could it have been put on a private plate after 2008? Maybe a UK based car checker would provide that info, but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Graham1882

Other than original reg, what is the more sought after reg type 61 D 12345 or ZV 12345?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Graham1882 wrote: »
    Other than original reg, what is the more sought after reg type 61 D 12345 or ZV 12345?

By right anything post 87 shouldn't be on a ZV as the year/county format was introduced in 87. ZV looks wrong imo.

What year is the car?

• Advertisement

Sorry Kopp77 dont mean to hijack the thread.

My car is 1961, but is on a 61 LK plate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

its personal preference
    I just brought in a 90 car on 90 plates.
    A young lad at a petrol station stopped me to tell me it was eligible for ZV now and I should go get it transferred !

RobAMerc wrote: »
    its personal preference
    I just brought in a 90 car on 90 plates.
    A young lad at a petrol station stopped me to tell me it was eligible for ZV now and I should go get it transferred !

Haha fair play to young lad knowing that. Will stick with what i have for the minute so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I'd say it's more that the young lad was thinking that he should get a ZV to avail of the €56 tax and the NCT/CVRT exemption, theres all sorts of strange theories going around out there.

hi5 wrote: »
    I'd say it's more that the young lad was thinking that he should get a ZV to avail of the €56 tax and the NCT/CVRT exemption, theres all sorts of strange theories going around out there.

Everybody loves a good rumour no matter what age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

So I missed out on that 4x4 but I have another one in mind and I have a new question to ask..., the gentleman I'm buying it from brought it in for its VRT inspection today and he is due back with them next week to pay the fees and get a reg number but what if I wanted it put in my county rather than MN, would that be possible,

Thanks lads..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i reckon he'd have to register it with your address to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Isambard wrote: »
    i reckon he'd have to register it with your address to do that.

Been done before I presume...? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the plate will reflect the address given by the owner....

So I missed out on that 4x4 but I have another one in mind and I have a new question to ask..., the gentleman I'm buying it from brought it in for its VRT inspection today and he is due back with them next week to pay the fees and get a reg number but what if I wanted it put in my county rather than MN, would that be possible,

Can only speak from a brand new car experience. I bought brand new straight from the garage, had it registered with a Dublin reg, even though the address the car was registered to wasn't Dublin. Cant see why it would be any different from your scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Can only speak from a brand new car experience. I bought brand new straight from the garage, had it registered with a Dublin reg, even though the address the car was registered to wasn't Dublin. Cant see why it would be any different from your scenario.

It’s very different. Registering a new car you don’t require any proof of address where as a used you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Don’t see a problem but you would need to buy it before he registers it so you could put in down as your county.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Advertisement