Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improve heating system/Plumber recommendation

Options
  • 19-01-2021 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folks.

I recently acquired a 2nd hand house (3bed semi-detached, South Dublin, was built in 1985 - BER C3 - Gas Central Heating) and I have no experience in any heating system before. The one I have here is very confusing to me.
    I'd like to improve the system but need some advice

I think the heating system is an open vented conventional boiler (not sure). The boiler is a gas Sime Format System (old model), there are an indirect hot cylinder upstairs and a water tank in the loft. The house is 1 zone only ( I think- I don't know how to check it)

I'm looking for options to improve it.
    First I think I will need to do a boiler service then
    1. Replace the current copper cylinder with a pre-insulated on. Or maybe just install a thermostat for the current one
    2. Install smart TRV for all 7 radiators. Some people suggested Tado, I will give them a try
    3. Install a wireless room thermostat
    4. Replace the boilers/ radiators if required
    Are they valid things to do? Did I miss something?
    That will be lots of work and I will a plumber or a service provider to do it. Can you suggest one who can do all that (who are familiar with smart TRV/thermostat) ? How it will work? i.e do I need to pay for the survey / first assessment?
    Thanks a mil

Advertisement