Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best shoes for overpronation

• 19-01-2021 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I run as a hobby about 10-12km 2 or 3 times a week. However, I have been plagued by injuries and I feel it is in part due to my past poor nutrition, flat feet, poor mechanical make up and also my gait. At the moment I am 8 weeks into my recovery from an undisplaced femoral neck stress fracture - an overuse injury common in young female athletes road running and military soldiers so the literature and consultants says.

I am by no means ready to start running again, (hopefully in another 6- 8 weeks!) but I really need to find a good pair of shock absorbing, soft stabilising shoes for when I do!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sav1

I use Hoka Arahi 3 and 4. The cushioning is great. I have over 600 KM in the Arahi 3 and they are still going strong.

I also use Asics Gel Kayano 26 I find them good too. Not the same amount of cushioning as the Hoka though.

Both of these are a stability shoe as far as i'm aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

look at the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 21 too -
    a go-to shoe for over 20 years for overpronation, stability and loads of cushioning.
    You can still find the GTS 19 and 20 online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Mizuno Wave Inspire are great

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭pathogan2008

+1 for the Brooks GTS 21 or 20

If you want the next level up on the cushioning and stability side - the Brooks Transcend 7 is a lovely shoe also.

Good luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Occasional runner here & I am thinking of getting the Brooks GTS Adrenaline 21.

Currently have a pair of Brooks Aduro 3 I got in Run Logic a few years back after doing the gait analysis on the treadmill.
    Despite being awful looking I always found them really comfortable & use them for walks around the roads & in local parks to this day.

I definitely seem to have an overpronation where the back of my foot/inside the back of the heel tends to cave in. I have noticed this when wearing more regular runners/footwear & not in the Brooks Aduro.

My Brooks Aduro 3 are a UK size 10, would I be ok in going for a size 10 in the Adrenaline if ordering online?

Also, looking at Elverys they have them but it doesnt give any info on the width, can I assume the width is normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Anyone put the Saucony liberty ISO 2 in this category for overpronators?

Good deal at the moments and runnersguru / runnersworld reviews etc look good

https://www.getthelabel.com/p/saucony-mens-liberty-iso-2-running-shoes/172099

I’m between them and mizuno wave inspire 16 - they’re £87 on sportshoes.com

Love brooks / ASICS / sauconys but unfortunately out of my price range.

Have heard the Hoka One One’s are amazing but never tried.

I’m a big runner :) 16 stone over 6 ft so it’s heavy going on the joints , need all the cushioning and stability possible to get those 5K times down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

I wouldn't recommend choosing shoes based on price, physios can be expensive! And you can usually find deals online for last years models.

Asics Kayano are the classic choice and they suit my feet. Which is all that matters really.

If you can get to a good shop, like Amphibian King or maybe Elverys, to try a few on it would be ideal.

Yes fully agree, have had to break the £100 barrier in the past but when you put them on it’s worth it!

Anyone who has custom made insoles for falling arches (mine cost me 200 a few years ago) - do you wear them while running?

I never have, I tried to a few times but I always got blisters under the inner mid foot and had to take them off a few minutes into the run .

Also thought wearing custom made insoles (mine are full length ) would contradict the technology you get in support/stability shoes with their own foam sole or similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Also thought wearing custom made insoles (mine are full length ) would contradict the technology you get in support/stability shoes with their own foam sole or similar?

The Brooks ones (at least the ones I have) have a removeable insole. You replace it with your custom insole. The insole is one part of a shoe. There a lot of other parts that are critical in a shoe. The insole is only one part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Yes fully agree, have had to break the £100 barrier in the past but when you put them on it’s worth it!

Anyone who has custom made insoles for falling arches (mine cost me 200 a few years ago) - do you wear them while running?

I never have, I tried to a few times but I always got blisters under the inner mid foot and had to take them off a few minutes into the run .

beauf wrote: »
    The Brooks ones (at the ones I have) have a removeable insole. You replace it with your custom insole. The insole is one part of a shoe. There a lot of other parts that are critical in a shoe. The insole is only one part.

Some shoes are designed to work with custom insoles - Brooks Dyads were ones that I was advised to wear with insoles about 5-6 years ago when i was running first and had custom insoles. I've long since abandoned the insoles though so i'm not sure if the Dyads are still around.

• Advertisement

I just bought a few pairs (not just for me) and the ones we all bought can do. I can't speak for entire range. Mine is the Ghost something or other. I got it for walking more than running though.

What website do you use out of interest? Sportsshoes.com is usually good for discounts, wiggle used to be good but not anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Asics Kayano are ok but feel very heavy on the foot, Asics 2000's a bit less so and are good for most distances from 5k to 1/2 marathon.
    Once fit and you want to run for a time then Asics DS trainer are a great shoe and often under €100 at Asics outlet.

Lately I've tried Nike Infinity react flyknit (1st series) and find them quite good but am unsure about their shelf life as am noticing the foam has less give after about 300 miles.
    The soles are still fine but I've a new pair I use for walking and there is a noticeable difference.
    If trying these don't buy 2nd edition as they have reverted to a neutral shoe for that model.

Personally though I'd recommend DS Trainer above all else, much more feedback from the road than any other support shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Asics Kayano are ok but feel very heavy on the foot, Asics 2000's a bit less so and are good for most distances from 5k to 1/2 marathon.
    Once fit and you want to run for a time then Asics DS trainer are a great shoe and often under €100 at Asics outlet.

Lately I've tried Nike Infinity react flyknit (1st series) and find them quite good but am unsure about their shelf life as am noticing the foam has less give after about 300 miles.
    The soles are still fine but I've a new pair I use for walking and there is a noticeable difference.
    If trying these don't buy 2nd edition as they have reverted to a neutral shoe for that model.

Personally though I'd recommend DS Trainer above all else, much more feedback from the road than any other support shoe.

That's interesting. Apparently I slightly overpronate. I bought a pair of the Epic Reacts Flyknit a few years ago and absolutely loved them. Bought a second pair in fact I liked them so much. I got the Inifinity Reacts at Christmas and while I like them I have to say I much prefer the original Epic Reacts.

I wasnt aware that there was a change in support. That would explain my preference. Or am I misunderstanding?

What website do you use out of interest? Sportsshoes.com is usually good for discounts, wiggle used to be good but not anymore

I didn't get a discount, so can't help you there. I just went direct, due to supply issues in the lockdown.

Arsenium wrote: »
    That's interesting. Apparently I slightly overpronate. I bought a pair of the Epic Reacts Flyknit a few years ago and absolutely loved them. Bought a second pair in fact I liked them so much. I got the Inifinity Reacts at Christmas and while I like them I have to say I much prefer the original Epic Reacts.

I wasnt aware that there was a change in support. That would explain my preference. Or am I misunderstanding?

I haven't tried the Epic React but they were a neutral shoe, similar to Infinity React v2.

Infinity React v1 is a support shoe and the only Nike support shoe other than zoom structure that's marketed as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

I haven't tried the Epic React but they were a neutral shoe, similar to Infinity React v2.

Infinity React v1 is a support shoe and the only Nike support shoe other than zoom structure that's marketed as such.

That's very interesting indeed. I did a lot of miles in the Epic Reacts including DCM and the whole training block leading up to it with no issues. Maybe I dont need support shoes at all !

Arsenium wrote: »
    That's very interesting indeed. I did a lot of miles in the Epic Reacts including DCM and the whole training block leading up to it with no issues. Maybe I dont need support shoes at all !

Most common issues from wrong shoes are itb in the knee and hip flexor, you'd break down quick enough. Though some people persist with the wrong shoes, find people who need support using pegasus to be a very common one.

If you can do heavy mileage weeks in a long training cycle with those shoes without injury then that would be as much of a litmus test as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

https://youtu.be/U26HIuO7FQA

Here's a really nice stability shoe, durable and comfy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

I'm a big Kayano fan, but I overpronate quite a bit

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/w25NwW8jaXA

Hoka Arahi is a favourite of mine for mileage, comfort and cushion with plenty of stability.
    I've had several pairs, No 2 was a stinker but from 3 onwards its been a winner......

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Eamando1981

Has anyone here who overpronate tried a carbon plate trainer considering they all seem to be neutral type?

I am a moderate to heavy overpronater and was thinking of try a pair of Sauceny speed, but would hate to waste the money on them if they are not right for me.

thanks

Checkout these two videos, they mite give you an idea of how different shoes work...

https://youtu.be/kIZbGDIPjf0

https://youtu.be/cs4OZF49za4

The guy is a moderate overpronator.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Eamando1981

Great Ross thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Has anyone here who overpronate tried a carbon plate trainer considering they all seem to be neutral type?

I am a moderate to heavy overpronater and was thinking of try a pair of Sauceny speed, but would hate to waste the money on them if they are not right for me.

thanks

Yep. When I go above 10 mile or so I usually need overpronating runners, I wear mizuno inspires.

Have a pair of the Speeds. Have only worn them on a 5k and no issues at all

Advertisement