Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If he can pardon people, why wait until the last day in office?

Options
  • 19-01-2021 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭

I never got that? Why not do it all through the 4 years? Something about no time for people to hit back at him/impeach him for it maybe but not sure.

Anyone here in the know about these things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's theatre. Americans bang on about the Republic, but really they prefer their Presidents to act like Kings and consider a President who does not have absolute authority to be a weak and pointless leader.

The pardons at the end of the term are just a part of this. It's ceremonial nonsense - the great benevolent and loving leader bestowing clemency on miserable creatures as their final act of mercy and kindness at the end of their reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

seamus wrote: »
    It's theatre.

I didn't enjoy the show, can I have a refund please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

So they don’t have to deal with the fallout for the next few months and years while they are president.

Only as a parting gesture of pure spite pardoning his criminal buddies, so they won't feel the full weight of the law after he's thrown out of the White House. Trump himself won't be as fortunate however, the chickens will come home to roost and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he does it to annoy people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There doesn’t seem to be any particular reason why it’s done on the last day, beyond the symbolic. Pardons are not a partisan thing e.g on his last day in office, Bill Clinton pardoned 140 people, including Marc Rich, Patty Hearst, and his own brother Roger.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

He does it to troll Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Big question really. Will he pardon himself

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Big question really. Will he pardon himself

Apparently his advisors have advised him not to as it would seen as an admission of guilt and it would naturally be challenged in the courts and given his spectacular fall from grace, likely to be successful (in the challenge)

I hope his life turns to absolute **** once he's left and that he spends a good stint in prison (hopefully till his death)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Welase Wodger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I cannot wait for how well I'm going to sleep after tomorrow. It'll be like how great Twitter is now, but for sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Apparently his advisors have advised him not to as it would seen as an admission of guilt and it would naturally be challenged in the courts and given his spectacular fall from grace, likely to be successful (in the challenge)

I hope his life turns to absolute **** once he's left and that he spends a good stint in prison (hopefully till his death)

don't worry about that remember he killed the iranian defense ministry head. so thats a thing to worry about.

Why do you feel that way? How would it make your life better?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I cannot wait for how well I'm going to sleep after tomorrow. It'll be like how great Twitter is now, but for sleep.

I'd actually forgotten that he's gone after tomorrow.

Disagree re Twitter. It's a cesspit IMO and they've been helping him spread his bile and disinformation unchallenged for years.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I thought it was obvious. The pardons happen at the end of the presidency because they are generally controversial.

The are no political consequences for a president to pardon at the end of their term. The cycle has moved on to the next incumbent.

Presidents do grant pardons throughout their term(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'd actually forgotten that he's gone after tomorrow.

Disagree re Twitter. It's a cesspit IMO and they've been helping him spread his bile and disinformation unchallenged for years.

Absolutely they did, I just mean the feel of it since they banned him is dramatically different. I can't believe how much better it is, and how miserable an effect one man had on it for so long. It feels nearly like it did when I was starting out and it was something fun and exciting rather than a saline drip of dread with jokes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Absolutely they did, I just mean the feel of it since they banned him is dramatically different. I can't believe how much better it is, and how miserable an effect one man had on it for so long. It feels nearly like it did when I was starting out and it was something fun and exciting rather than a saline drip of dread with jokes.

I inferred your comment that way but I think the problem with Twitter is that its algorithim encourages echo chambers which in turn encourage vitriolic hatred, death threats and aggressive, right wing cults.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I inferred your comment that way but I think the problem with Twitter is that its algorithim encourages echo chambers which in turn encourage vitriolic hatred, death threats and aggressive, right wing cults.

Twitter has absolutely fed wokism and cancel culture as well.

It's not just exclusive of the right tbt.

Twitter has absolutely fed wokism and cancel culture as well.

It's not just exclusive of the right tbt.

No, but I don't see woke genderfluid vegans attempting coups.

Anyway, this is a bit off topic. Last word is yours if you want it.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I never got that? Why not do it all through the 4 years? Something about no time for people to hit back at him/impeach him for it maybe but not sure.

Anyone here in the know about these things?

I don't know how it works. However, I know it isn't the first time that it has happened.

Bill Clinton did it. He pardoned 140 people on the last day of his presidency.

Maybe it is a system problem as opposed to a Donald Trump issue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/clinton-pardoned-men-who-paid-his-brother-in-law-1.375325

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't know how it works. However, I know it isn't the first time that it has happened.

Bill Clinton did it. He pardoned 140 people on the last day of his presidency.

Maybe it is a system problem as opposed to a Donald Trump issue.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/clinton-pardoned-men-who-paid-his-brother-in-law-1.375325

how many of those clinton pardons were for co-conspirators?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

During trumps 4 years he wanted another term. No point rocking the boat and souring potential voters for him. So he's returning and giving out favours now as it's his last day. He doesn't care what people think.

It's like having it out with your boss or co-worker right before you leave on your last day cause who cares... You are out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully he gives Joe Exotic a pardon, Tiger King could do with a 2nd series.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He is trying to raise money and buy powerful friends for his life after tomorrow. It's a fire sale to the highest bidders with a vested interest while he still has the power to do it. Same way he raised financial support getting his law suits challenging the results in various States knowing that the law suits would fail. He won't be giving the money back. Reality is that the US Presidency is big business before, during & after the term of office and it has been for along time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Hopefully he gives Joe Exotic a pardon, Tiger King could do with a 2nd series.

Series 2 with Joe Exotic getting out and finally dealing with that evil Carol Baskin :pac:

Rapper Lil Wayne is also looking for a pardon from Trump too and if he doesnt get one he is looking at a 10 year prison sentence beginning next week for being caught with coke, heroin and an illegally held gold plated Glock on board his private jet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A lot of them are proper pardons for possible miscarriages of justice

Some are for PR

Some are for favours done

And hidden amongst them are the ones that cost $2 million each. And Donald is going to need every cent when the loans, and lawsuits and harassment charges start coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

how many of those clinton pardons were for co-conspirators?

I heard he said sorry to Monica Lewinsky...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

bazz26 wrote: »
    He is trying to raise money and buy powerful friends for his life after tomorrow. It's a fire sale to the highest bidders with a vested interest while he still has the power to do it. Same way he raised financial support getting his law suits challenging the results in various States knowing that the law suits would fail. He won't be giving the money back. Reality is that the US Presidency is big business before, during & after the term of office and it has been for along time.

I was minutes away from running into Bill Clinton September 2017 when Ophelia was hitting (told to go home from work so took a bus from Eden Quay). 30 mins later he's there taking a selfie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Why would Trump or any American President for that matter have such an effect on you or your life?

Advertisement