Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

1980 Porsche 924 no spark

• 19-01-2021 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3 Noelie13

Hi everyone. I'm stuck with getting my 924 (2.0ltr) to start. It turns over perfectly, but I have no spark. There is very weak power at the live connection on the ignition coil. If I run a direct live from the battery it will start and run for a few seconds then cuts out. I've checked all fuses and they are good. Just wondering has anyone come across this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭ Redriddick

Noelie13 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm stuck with getting my 924 (2.0ltr) to start. It turns over perfectly, but I have no spark. There is very weak power at the live connection on the ignition coil. If I run a direct live from the battery it will start and run for a few seconds then cuts out. I've checked all fuses and they are good. Just wondering has anyone come across this before?

Bad earth??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 4,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭ kadman

Ditto.

Bad earth at battery, engine to gearbox or engine /gearbox to chassis if fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ T5180

By weak power at the coil do you mean less than 12volts? Is there is a ballast resistor on the supply to the coil ? if so ,that would explain why .

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Noelie13

From what I can see it does not have a balist resistor. I have a wiring diagram in a Haynes manual. It has a transistor ignition unit (ignition module) I have 12v and good ground at it but only about 3v at the live terminal at the coil. I am thinking of getting a second hand one off eBay and seeing does that cure it.

Advertisement