Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Washington now the safest city in the World with all the police and troops in it?

Options
  • 19-01-2021 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

It reminds me of a Star Trek DS9 episode "Paradise Lost" except it's on a smaller scale as in the episode when they think the shapeshifters are on Earth the whole planet Earth goes into lockdown with troops everywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

AMKC wrote: »
    It reminds me of a Star Trek DS9 episode "Paradise Lost" except it's on a smaller scale as in the episode when they think the shapeshifters are on Earth the whole planet Earth goes into lockdown with troops everywhere.

I like your analogy. I feel like watching that episode now :D
    I read an article earlier about the FBI running background checks on the national guard members who are at the Capitol. Apparently they are worried about an attack from within (changelings obviously :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Apparently they are going to having counter intelligence snipers ready to shoot any of troops who tries something on, mad stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Apparently they are going to having counter intelligence snipers ready to shoot any of troops who tries something on, mad stuff

Biden might drop the hand on lady ga ga

• Registered Users Posts: 81,619 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

More US troops there now than Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well, people somehow managed to storm the capitol, an allegedly secure building, and someone else was able to fly a plane into the pentagon. I'm also pretty sure the National Guard is full of even loonier loons who couldn't get into the loon brigade army (but open to correction on this). Whatever they're like, I would not fancy being anywhere near that area.

• Advertisement

If you happen to be near the actual event, yeah it's 'safe' from random everyday crime.

None of the police and military on duty will be patrolling or even be looking for normal crime though so muggings, etc shall continue

Well, people somehow managed to storm the capitol, an allegedly secure building, and someone else was able to fly a plane into the pentagon. I'm also pretty sure the National Guard is full of even loonier loons who couldn't get into the loon brigade army (but open to correction on this). Whatever they're like, I would not fancy being anywhere near that area.

National guard are reserves with normal jobs. Many may well have served full-time and plenty more will have been deployed abroad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The murder rate in Washington, D.C., is 22.8 per 100,000.

In Ireland its 0.9 per 100,000.

Cerveza wrote: »
    Biden might drop the hand on lady ga ga

Maybe about 20 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Maybe about 20 years ago

She was only 14 then. You’re sick man.

• Advertisement

I was joking about bidens penchant for sniffing kids and his alleged tolerance for his sons alleged nefarious actions.

Nowt to do with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

great to see the democrats promoting unity of all Americans.

Now if they could only change 80 million voters who didn’t vote for them..somehow calling those who voted for Trump white supremacists, domestic terrorists, is not the way to do it.

D.C. is an awful bloody place and certainly not safe. Looks more like Guantanamo Bay than the nations capital at the moment. Mind you most city centers do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 vurstflavor

It's not safe someone could set off a bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

NSAman wrote: »
    great to see the democrats promoting unity of all Americans.

Now if they could only change 80 million voters who didn’t vote for them..somehow calling those who voted for Trump white supremacists, domestic terrorists, is not the way to do it.

D.C. is an awful bloody place and certainly not safe. Looks more like Guantanamo Bay than the nations capital at the moment. Mind you most city centers do.

What else should they call white supremacists and domestic terrorists?

The right have some neck in calling for unity after so much forced division for so long. Thought the supposed party of law and order would recognize the need for accountability for ones actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

The right have some neck in calling for unity after so much forced division for so long. Thought the supposed party of law and order would recognize the need for accountability for ones actions.

Everyone who voted for trump is a white supremacist, especially the Latinos, sure everyone knows that

Everyone who voted for trump is a white supremacist, especially the Latinos, sure everyone knows that

Absolutely not. And no one is saying that.

Not every one who voted for Trump is a White Supremacist, but I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed every white supremacist who voted, voted for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

Safe would imply it’s stable, peaceful and secure. It’s just the most heavily armed city in the world at the moment.

It’s not somewhere I would particularly enjoy being right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

No one said that

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

No one said that

Read againg the comments baby.

• Advertisement

Absolutely not. And no one is saying that.

Not every one who voted for Trump is a White Supremacist, but I'd say it's pretty much guaranteed every white supremacist who voted, voted for Trump.

So if not all 70 million Trump voters are white supremacists, then don't label all 70 million as white supremacists.

There are probably a few thousand actual white supremacist KKK types in the states. They basically no longer exist and are an exxagerated bogeyman on the left. The people that stormed the Capitol are nutjobs, sure, but there was nothing racial about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

More US troops there now than Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

And Syria, 25k altogether apparently

So if not all 70 million Trump voters are white supremacists, then don't label all 70 million as white supremacists.

There are probably a few thousand actual white supremacist KKK types in the states. They basically no longer exist and are an exxagerated bogeyman on the left. The people that stormed the Capitol are nutjobs, sure, but there was nothing racial about it.

FBI don't agree with you. But sure what would they know.

Das Reich wrote: »
    Read againg the comments baby.

Can you quote the comment where someone said everyone who voted for Trump is a white supremacist.

NSAman wrote: »

Your response to the above was...
    Can you quote the comment where someone said everyone who voted for Trump is a white supremacist.

Now that's a little bit in bad faith.

You clearly made the obvious insinuation, but left yourself enough wiggle room to claim you never explicitly said it.

Its a dishonest way to discuss and you know it.

Your response to the above was...

Now that's a little bit in bad faith.

You clearly made the obvious insinuation, but left yourself enough wiggle room to claim you never explicitly said it.

Its a dishonest way to discuss and you know it.

I trust you guys will keep this insistence on specificity in mind when referring to BLM protestors as rioters and vandals.

All of a sudden there are concerns about everyone being tarred with the same brush. Oh how the turntables have.....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It's not safe someone could set off a bomb

No one will get a bomb anywhere near the Capitol today, it is basically set up like Baghdads Green Zone at the moment with a ring of steel around it.

There is a real danger that a lone wolf tries to bomb some federal building in another state capital though. FBI said the capitals in Michigan, Georgia and Wisconsin are a particular worry.

Anyway its great to see Trump is finally out of office by midday tomorrow. He was easily the most divisive US President in living history. He is also leaving the office as the most unpopular President since polling began in 1938 which speaks volumes about what people now think of him.

• Site Banned Posts: 26 Privacy Notice

You'd be more likely to get shot at there by security at the moment. Possibly making it one of the least safe places to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

From the BBC:
    The Republican president gained six percentage points among black men, and five percentage points among Hispanic women.
    So yeah, all of those black men and Latinas are now white supremacists. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Wouldn't go to Washington right now if you paid me. As regards being safe all it needs is one Trump cult member to cause trouble and the whole scenario could go down.

Advertisement