Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management company dumping

Options
  • 18-01-2021 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

first, apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum!

I'll try be as clear with the story as possible.

I live in a block of apartments in Dublin city and management company and board of directors (which were also involved in the construction of the block) left abandoned in the parking a massive amount of building materials (and even a diesel forklift) in different parts of the underground parking.

Now, I have only moved to this building over 2 years ago but I'm aware these materials have been there since the block was built around 2005.

I've tried to talk to the management company to get rid of these without any luck and I'm starting to consider putting everything on adverts for free collection.

Am I right to do so? Do I have any alternative?

Management company keeps ignoring me and the other neighbours and that space could be better used for other things.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

You may consider it waste, but it's not yours to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

talulon wrote: »
    I live in a block of apartments in Dublin city and management company and board of directors (which were also involved in the construction of the block) left abandoned in the parking a massive amount of building materials (and even a diesel forklift) in different parts of the underground parking.

Now, I have only moved to this building over 2 years ago but I'm aware these materials have been there since the block was built around 2005.
    Are you a renter or owner? Are these materials in your way, taking up guest carparking places, or otherwise interrupting you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Do you own the apartment?

If so - You are the management company! Make sure it is an item on the agenda at the next AGM. If any of the directors have been ignoring you and the other apartment owners, then don't vote for their re-election.

If not, then there's nothing that you can do, nor should it really bother you?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭talulon

I do own one of the apartments, otherwise I probably wouldn't even care.

We haven't had an AGM in 2 years and they keep bailing the topic over email, that's why we are considering a different way to go. Dump has been year for around 15 years and even though it is not ours, nobody really cared for it for a very long time.

I've proposed them the option of adverts free collection, maybe this will wake them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,875 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We haven't had an AGM in 2 years and they keep bailing the topic over email, that's why we are considering a different way to go. Dump has been year for around 15 years and even though it is not ours, nobody really cared for it for a very long time.

I've proposed them the option of adverts free collection, maybe this will wake them up.

It might wake them up and land you in trouble, it's not your property to give away.

If there has been no AGM for 2 years you have bigger issues than the rubbish as your OMC isn't compliant with company law. You need to call an EGM and vote out the current directors. Then you can become a director and legally get rid of the rubbish and get your OMC running correctly.

• Advertisement

As per Del2005, it appears you have a much bigger problem and are focusing on the symptom rather than the factor.

If the management company is dysfunctional/non-existent, you need to get that sorted. All issues will remain paralysed until that is done. Remember, you (and your neighbours) are the management company. Only you guys have the power to fix it - no one else will!

If they don't have the money to move the stuff, how is the maintenance for the rest of the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭talulon

Noone said there's no money to move stuff around. Maintenance is ok, we are talking about a one of the "good" managemente companies here (although as you can see not so good).

Problem is, it's not convenient for them as it has served for free storage all these years.

board of directors (which were also involved in the construction of the block) left abandoned in the parking a massive amount of building materials (and even a diesel forklift) in different parts of the underground parking.
    Have a look at the building materials, and see how much could be used in the upkeep of the apartment block? Another angle could be that the materials are surplus, which the board of directors have been chipping away at over the past few years to use in maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

An agm is a minimum legal requirement along with accounts and other statements. You can refer this specific matter to the odce who will write and advise one must take place. This usually gets things moving.

Request the management company owners handbook. It's free online but a book is handy. Contains a complete manual on all aspects.

That plus the companies articles of association and your primary contract lease are the three documents you need.

Governance not issues like rubbish are generally the underlying issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what knid of materials are they.
    could they be sorted out and tidied up into a smaller area. then build a stud wall around them to make them secure and safe.

i would go down the safety route. what would happen if somone fell in that area

I am a little confused now.

Are you talking about the management company or the management agency?

The management company is you and the other apartment owners. The management company make the big decisions and are ultimately in charge. They have at least an AGM (Annual General Meeting) per annum, as well as EGM's (Extraordinary General Meeting) for urgent, critical issues. The AGM is a strict legal requirement and absolutely must be held each year. At the AGM, directors are appointed (volunteers from within the apartment owners) who run the management company for the year, typically liaising with the management agency throughout the year and making small decisions while investigating and proposing larger decisions (such as budget, large pieces of works, changes to house rules etc) to be brought to the wider management company who vote for/against at the AGM/EGM.

The management agency is appointed (typically on a rolling contract) by the management company (as per above - proposed by the directors and accepted, by cote, by the members of the management company) to oversee the day-to-day activities/maintenance at the direction of the management company.

If it is the management agency who are not doing anything about this, you need to speak to the directors of the management company to get the issue investigated and brought up at the next AGM. And while you are at it, find out why there was no AGM last year!

Advertisement