Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I overloaded extension lead?

Options
  • 18-01-2021 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi

I came across the below and I'm just after putting in a new dishwasher in house we moved into.

There was previously just a single socket with just a washing machine. I replaced this with a 13amp extension and in it I now have washing machine, dishwasher and a microwave plugged in. So all appliances are each 13Amp

Note the microwave had the kind of plug you couldn't unscrew off. So I cut the flex and put wires into a replacement plug from an old lamp. I made sure to put same 13amp fuse that was in old microwave plug. I then wrapped insulation tape around wires on outside of plug.

How dangerous is the above?

Is power only being used when they all running at once or is it the same danger with all just plugged in at once?

Is the extension ok as it is or do I need to get a twin socket put in and plug the microwave in elsewhere?

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/cork-fire-service-issue-warning-19637292

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hi

I came across the below and I'm just after putting in a new dishwasher in house we moved into.

There was previously just a single socket with just a washing machine. I replaced this with a 13amp extension and in it I now have washing machine, dishwasher and a microwave plugged in. So all appliances are each 13Amp

Note the microwave had the kind of plug you couldn't unscrew off. So I cut the flex and put wires into a replacement plug from an old lamp. I made sure to put same 13amp fuse that was in old microwave plug. I then wrapped insulation tape around wires on outside of plug.

How dangerous is the above?

Is power only being used when they all running at once or is it the same danger with all just plugged in at once?

Is the extension ok as it is or do I need to get a twin socket put in and plug the microwave in elsewhere?

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/cork-fire-service-issue-warning-19637292

Its not safe

The multiplug outlets are ok for distributing power to light duty gadgets

Extension leads are what I would class as 'Tool Rated'

Suitable for short term use for power tools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Not safe.

You can get a triple socket, a double and a single or two doubles. Get an electrician out to fit these.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

lightspeed wrote: »

I then wrapped insulation tape around wires on outside of plug.

Erm...
    Why are there wires outside the plug?

Get a sparks in to fit additional sockets for the appliances, better safe than sorry.

Advertisement