Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mainland Europe to Ireland land moving

Options
  • 17-01-2021 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi,
    My gf and I will move back to Ireland in April or may this year.
    We are looking at ways to bring things with us such as bed, bikes, kitchen stuff etc etc.
    Not all that much stuff but probably a van load of stuff.
    What is the best way to do this or people's experience?
    Considering renting a van in Ireland or NL and heading across UK but works out pretty expensive with rental, ferry etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I can't see restrictions easing any time soon.

Would you not be better selling what you have and starting again at home

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

andyd12 wrote: »
    Considering renting a van in Ireland or NL and heading across UK but works out pretty expensive with rental, ferry etc.

You need to do a lot of research on this. Usually you can't drive a typical rental outside the EU as it is considered an export. You'll need to get one that has been cleared for export/re-entry... I seen it here in Switzerland, with people who rent in the EU and drive across the border into Switzerland and suddenly they are in a heap of trouble.

You will also be exporting your stuff out of the EU and back in again. So you will need to ensure you have the correct paper work.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭andyd12

I can't see restrictions easing any time soon.

Would you not be better selling what you have and starting again at home

True but I have 2 bicycles which I won't be selling

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You need to do a lot of research on this. Usually you can't drive a typical rental outside the EU as it is considered an export. You'll need to get one that has been cleared for export/re-entry... I seen it here in Switzerland, with people who rent in the EU and drive across the border into Switzerland and suddenly they are in a heap of trouble.

You will also be exporting your stuff out of the EU and back in again. So you will need to ensure you have the correct paper work.

Looking into renting further, I don't it's a good option. Cheaper to buy a van in Ireland and drive it over and back I think.

Does anyone have any experience with shipping stuff like this. What companies are out there? Just interested to see how much they would quote

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I recommended this company to a friend moving from France back to Dublin last year and he used them but thought they were expensive. I've no idea of the cost but could contact them for a quote anyway. https://aaltonen.ie/

Best of luck with the move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We moved from the Netherlands to Ireland a while back now, 2001, and we had a good but of stuff so a self drive van would have been no use to us. The company my wife was going to work for were paying also so we used a Dutch removal firm. They're called Versfelt Worldwide, very professional, but pricey. If you've only got a few things they can arrange to combine your stuff with someone else's to fill a truck, but you may have to wait a bit. The only snag was when they came to unloading and unpacking everything they'd brought in some guys from a well known Irish removal firm to assist who turned out to be right cowboys, broke a couple of things so they sent them packing (!) and did everything themselves.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I recommended this company to a friend moving from France back to Dublin last year and he used them but thought they were expensive. I've no idea of the cost but could contact them for a quote anyway. https://aaltonen.ie/

Best of luck with the move.

Thank you. Ye I presume it will be pricey but requested a quote anyway

Alun wrote: »
    We moved from the Netherlands to Ireland a while back now, 2001, and we had a good but of stuff so a self drive van would have been no use to us. The company my wife was going to work for were paying also so we used a Dutch removal firm. They're called Versfelt Worldwide, very professional, but pricey. If you've only got a few things they can arrange to combine your stuff with someone else's to fill a truck, but you may have to wait a bit. The only snag was when they came to unloading and unpacking everything they'd brought in some guys from a well known Irish removal firm to assist who turned out to be right cowboys, broke a couple of things so they sent them packing (!) and did everything themselves.

Ye for us, a van load like Ford transit or the likes would cover us relatively easily.
    I noticed that company has gone to the wall but thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

andyd12 wrote: »
    I noticed that company has gone to the wall but thanks anyway
    Sorry about that, I googled their name and the website was still active, but searching further it appears you're right. Strange.

Advertisement