Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing cards

Options
  • 17-01-2021 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭

A quick question for everyone. When in a couple, does your other half ask you to sign your own name in the card or would they sign it off for you?

My other half always insists on me signing my own name, even if She bought the card and wrote in it. I find this very odd. I never even heard of anyone doing it before. Whoever gets the card and writes in it usually signs it off and writes all the names in it. I’d be interested to see how others do it.

Do you sign your own name on a card 20 votes

The person writing out the card signs all names
    70% 14 votes
    Each person individually signs their own name
    30% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Have to say I'd find that a wee bit weird ... I get my kid to sign his name on cards I'm writing, just coz it's a novelty for him and he likes doing it, I wouldn't ask a partner to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Have to say I'd find that a wee bit weird ... I get my kid to sign his name on cards I'm writing, just coz it's a novelty for him and he likes doing it, I wouldn't ask a partner to do it!

Yes I’d be the exact same as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If its her side of the family she signs for all of us, and I do them all if its my side. The exception is cards to grandparents where the kids do their own but one of the adults does both parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If its her side of the family she signs for all of us, and I do them all if its my side. The exception is cards to grandparents where the kids do their own but one of the adults does both parents.

Well I’m really only talking about adults here. Yes I’d usually get kids to sign just for the novelty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Would she mind you signing her name on a card you were sending?

When we're sending cards, whoever is writing the card signs all the names. I'd say that's pretty standard - a card isn't a legal document.

That said, my wife has this weird thing that she insists on. Say she's driving and I'm with her. And a friend or family member texts her. I'll read out the text to her. And sometimes she might want to respond, and she'll ask me to type it. All fine so far.

But she insists on me explaining in the reply that it's me doing the replying on her behalf. So I'll have to write something like "Mary is driving, this is Gregor replying for her on her phone." Even if the answer is just "ok", the disclaimer has to be included. It's weird, and I've brought it up with her, but she doesn't see that it's completely unnecessary, and can actually end up being confusing to the recipient. Sometimes you'd get a reply from them - where they haven't read the really properly - saying "Oh sorry Gregor, I thought I thought this was Mary's number. Can you send me her correct one?", and it ends up being a whole rigamarole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

My brother asked me to do it once but I said our writing style would collide.

And then we collided..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Would she mind you signing her name on a card you were sending?

When we're sending cards, whoever is writing the card signs all the names. I'd say that's pretty standard - a card isn't a legal document.

That said, my wife has this weird thing that she insists on. Say she's driving and I'm with her. And a friend or family member texts her. I'll read out the text to her. And sometimes she might want to respond, and she'll ask me to type it. All fine so far.

But she insists on me explaining in the reply that it's me doing the replying on her behalf. So I'll have to write something like "Mary is driving, this is Gregor replying for her on her phone." Even if the answer is just "ok", the disclaimer has to be included. It's weird, and I've brought it up with her, but she doesn't see that it's completely unnecessary, and can actually end up being confusing to the recipient. Sometimes you'd get a reply from them - where they haven't read the really properly - saying "Oh sorry Gregor, I thought I thought this was Mary's number. Can you send me her correct one?", and it ends up being a whole rigamarole.

Makes sense to me, the person will know not to reply anything personal because they'll know you'll probably see it as well as her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Makes sense to me, the person will know not to reply anything personal because they'll know you'll probably see it as well as her.

A real world example would be: We’re driving to her elderly aunt’s house for lunch. While we’re on the way, the aunt texts to say she’s out of milk, could we pick some up on the way. The normal response would be “sure, no problem”. The response I have to give is “hi Anne. This is Gregor replying on Mary’s phone. Mary is driving. Sure, we’ll get some milk”.

It’s highly unlikely that there’s a danger of elderly Aunt Anne sending a dick pic in reply if I don’t include the lengthy explanation. She usually sends them at the outset, then asks her question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I draw a big hairy sac on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If it's a couple one person generally signs the card. You might let a kid sign there name for granny tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I draw a big hairy sac on mine.

bollocks!

Advertisement