Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upstairs zone only operates with downstairs zone

Options
  • 17-01-2021 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Have a strange problem with my central heating.
    If I turn on my upstairs zone it does not heat but instead the return pipe gets hotter than the flow and the boiler stops. If I turn on downstairs with upstairs all is fine.

Is there anything that would prevent a zone operating independently from another? I guess the return is being shared in some way and thus blocked when the downstairs zone is closed.

Zone valves and pump are on the flows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You may have two heating zones but is your hot water an unzoned open circuit? If so, you may be getting reverse circulation for the upstairs heating circuit through the hot water coil.
    The zone valve actuator (electric box section) may still be functioning, but the mechanical valve section is stuck, hence no flow of water when turned on by itself.
    You may be able to remove the actuator head from the valve and give the spindle a few twists to free it up and put it back working again. Otherwise it's a new zone valve needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Sorry should have mentioned I have a hot water zone too. All zone valves open and close correctly which is strange. It seems like the zones are not independent or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

alan4cult wrote: »
    Sorry should have mentioned I have a hot water zone too. All zone valves open and close correctly which is strange. It seems like the zones are not independent or something.

Work on checking the zone valve as I described earlier first.
    Out of curiosity check if any of the upstairs rads get warm or hot when you only use the timer for hot water.

Advertisement