Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber or DIY for waste drainage hole drilled?

Options
  • 17-01-2021 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi

We moved into a new house and there was a washing machine there already and it was connected to a single spigot under the sink. I tried buying one with 2 spiggots but when I hooked washing machine waste pipe up and dishwasher the washing machine could not drain. It seemed to be that spiggots were about 3 inches higher than original that had been used.

So I've hooked back up previous single spigot for washing machine but now need a separate hole drilled for dishwasher waste pipe.

My question is how much should I expect a plumber charge to do this? I suppose it would be handy if plumber could attach the waste piping outside aswell.

Alternative is for me to buy a better SDS drill and buy it rent the core drill bits.

The SDS drill I have is a cheap guild 1000w drill from argos. Its plenty of power but no safety chuck and the whole drill rotated and hurt my wrist a bit so think it would be best to buy one with a safety chuck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You'll be hard pressed to find a plumber just to drill a hole.

Don't bother buying a drill. Just go to a plant his shop and hire a drill and core bit for a day for 20 or 30 euros. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

You'll be hard pressed to find a plumber just to drill a hole.

Don't bother buying a drill. Just go to a plant his shop and hire a drill and core bit for a day for 20 or 30 euros. Job done.

Thanks I should have mentioned perhaps that Ive to get the boiler serviced and would like to get a magna filter and perhaps TRV valves fitted also.

Having trouble getting hold a plumber. I'm sure I would get one eventually but experienced 2 plumbers telling me they would arrive and then not show up. With dishwasher arrived already I'm anxious to get it installed ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I am surprised the dual spigot arrangement won’t work. Is it emptying any water via it at all? Any chance there is a blank/bung which needs to be knocked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I agree with Lenar"s post above, there is no reason why the dual spigot didn't work.
    Check it carefully, as often there is a blanking plug put into one of the spigots to prevent flooding if it's not being used.

Advertisement