Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumber or electrician?

Options
  • 16-01-2021 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

So I had an ESB engineer call round to put a nest in, but apparently my zoning (two switches under the boiler) is the wrong type to just throw one in.... So fair enough I need to get it looked at. Thing is I'm not sure if I need to call an electrician or a heating engineer for this fix. The main boiler switch on the wall is just one of those on/ off / timer mechanical dials, then a dual gang switch to turn upstairs/ downstairs on/off wired under the boiler itself presumably operating valves. Any pointers appreciated......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Can you post a photo of the switches

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

The wire on the left of the switch box is coming from the boiler, the one on the right goes up to the junction box (term?) next to the valve in the other pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Blahfool wrote: »
    So I had an ESB engineer call round to put a nest in, but apparently my zoning (two switches under the boiler) is the wrong type to just throw one in.... So fair enough I need to get it looked at. Thing is I'm not sure if I need to call an electrician or a heating engineer for this fix. The main boiler switch on the wall is just one of those on/ off / timer mechanical dials, then a dual gang switch to turn upstairs/ downstairs on/off wired under the boiler itself presumably operating valves. Any pointers appreciated......

I’d say it’s an electrician you need. Assuming all the valves are in place

forgot the wall switch...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Definitely an electricians job although I cannot see a reason why the first lad didn’t do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Whether it's an electrician or a plumber, you need someone who fully understands heating controls and how to wire them properly.
    I've had to re-wire plenty of heating system controls and it's shocking how many are not done right.
    So before you hire anyone make sure that they do understand and know how to set them up properly.

Cool, will do.
    Thanks for the replies folks.

Can the nest handle zones at all?

Advertisement