Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just eat car delivery : worth it or nay?

Options
  • 16-01-2021 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

hi 2 questions boardsies if anyone can answer

looking to work partime possibly with just eat to bring in extra much needed money for my fam.

1. is it worth my while working a few hours a week - as insurance is expensiveo right and petrol not included - ive heard rumours its below minimum wages

2. I have a current full time job in finance. would that potentially be endangering my job in terms of them finding out about a second job? again i have heard rumours that this could lead to losing my primary income due to breaking contract or they would find a way to remove - would they even find out ? maybe when taxes are done next year or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I considered this a few years ago. It wasn't worth it.

Instead I pushed on and moved about in my main field -- and did better out of it than delivery income would have done (over the course of 12-24 months). And that's not a particularly high paying industry either. Finance would be better.
    mkdon wrote: »
    1. is it worth my while working a few hours a week - as insurance is expensiveo right and petrol not included - ive heard rumours its below minimum wages

Your costs will be very high per hour if you only do a few hours a week. Driving multiple short journeys is incredibly fuel inefficient.

You'll need commercial insurance, as your private insurance doesn't cover you. I'm sure very few delivery people bother with this, but the fact is if you have an accident or get stopped and don't have it it's anywhere between 6 points and a ban.

2. I have a current full time job in finance. would that potentially be endangering my job in terms of them finding out about a second job?

That completely depends on your contract, in terms of the work itself. But if you had a crash for example while doing it and there was any negative feedback that found its way to your employer, it might be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭SVI40

I did it years ago, for a large pizza chain. €5.00 per hour and €1.50 per delivery. Yes, I made a few bob, but not a huge amount. It did help at the time.

As regards your company, none of their business what you do in your spare time. Not like you are working for a competing company.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SVI40 wrote: »
    As regards your company, none of their business what you do in your spare time. Not like you are working for a competing company.

Wrong.

If you work 40hrs with one employer and 15 with another both are on the hook for Working Time breaches. You'll find theres a clause in your contract to make disclosure mandatory for the main job.

If you do it correctly and get commercial insurance I doubt you'll make anything. Many are running private policies which is a biiiig risk if you were to have a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭SVI40

ED E wrote: »
    Wrong.

If you work 40hrs with one employer and 15 with another both are on the hook for Working Time breaches. You'll find theres a clause in your contract to make disclosure mandatory for the main job.

If you do it correctly and get commercial insurance I doubt you'll make anything. Many are running private policies which is a biiiig risk if you were to have a tip.
    No clause in any contract I've ever had for disclosure. Are you saying that this clause is in all contracts??? I think not.
    You can opt to work as many hours as you want, the working time directive is there to stop companies making you work longer hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ED E wrote: »
    Wrong.

and you'll be bollixed at the end of the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I have a good job but also deliver for a local takeaway.

I usually just do one night each week and get anywhere from 100 to 150 for the night (4 hours).

This week I worked Friday and Saturday and pulled in 250 for those two nights.

Definitely worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

hi 2 questions boardsies if anyone can answer

looking to work partime possibly with just eat to bring in extra much needed money for my fam.

2. I have a current full time job in finance. would that potentially be endangering my job in terms of them finding out about a second job? again i have heard rumours that this could lead to losing my primary income due to breaking contract or they would find a way to remove - would they even find out ? maybe when taxes are done next year or something?

On number 2, I don't know what job you have in finance but as part of the CBI fitness and probity requirements you could possibly have to self certify that 1) you have no outside business interests and 2) you possibly have to self certify that you have the time to perform the role.

Technically if you breach the fitness and probity requirements you would not be fit for purpose and liable to dismissal.

Also by working for justeat.ie you'd id assume be getting paid through the books and the tax on top of it would make your take home be f all per hour.

Might be worth doing it on the QT for a local takeaway and keeping it all cash so 1) your employer wouldn't find out and 2) so you don't get taxed to high heavens.

Advertisement