Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concern regarding companies approach to resignation

Options
  • 16-01-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I recently contacted my manager and stated my intention to resign from my current role. My manager stated that they were happy for me to disclose my own intent on fulfilling my notice requirements and that I may not be required to serve my entire notice period which is 4 weeks.

Subsequently I sent a letter of resignation stating my intent to leave, and my proposed approach to fulfilling my notice period which would be 2 weeks work followed by two weeks of annual leave (I had sufficient annual leave built up to give me two entire weeks of holidays).

This was accepted by my manager, however, I have now become aware of the company's intent for me to finish work after two weeks and for my remaining annual leave to be paid in one sum in my final paycheck.

My contract states that this can be done by the company, however, I was surprised that this was the approach given it is not what I proposed and not what I agreed with management. My main issue is that I will not be starting new employment until two weeks after this period and therefore, this will impact on my PRSI contributions as I will not be paying a stamp for those two weeks.

Is there any recourse for me to dispute the approach taken by my employer or would anyone know of any examples and reasonable solutions that I could bring forward to my employer.

Thank you for any insight,

AppleSlice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭dennyk

As you said, that's perfectly legal, and is the approach most employers would take, as it's less complicated than having an employee remain on the payroll even though they won't be returning to work.
    AppleSlice wrote: »
    My main issue is that I will not be starting new employment until two weeks after this period and therefore, this will impact on my PRSI contributions as I will not be paying a stamp for those two weeks.

A single two-week gap in PRSI contributions is not going to have any real impact on your qualification for any benefits. Such gaps are perfectly ordinary, as many times folks will have a short gap between their end date at one job and their start date at another. Gaps of months or years which don't qualify for any credits could potentially be an issue, but two weeks shouldn't be a problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

In addition to the PRSI gap, there might be a gap in health insurance.

This happened to me when I had to get a blood test in between jobs. My provider switched and the previous called me to ask (suggest) i pay for 2 weeks cover to retrospectively cover the expenses.

Just something to consider if applicable to your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dennyk wrote: »
    As you said, that's perfectly legal, and is the approach most employers would take, as it's less complicated than having an employee remain on the payroll even though they won't be returning to work.

A single two-week gap in PRSI contributions is not going to have any real impact on your qualification for any benefits. Such gaps are perfectly ordinary, as many times folks will have a short gap between their end date at one job and their start date at another. Gaps of months or years which don't qualify for any credits could potentially be an issue, but two weeks shouldn't be a problem at all.

Thank you taking the time to respond. My biggest gripe is that this wasn't even discussed and is not how I set out the terms of my resignation. I have worked abroad for a number of years and have taken time out to care for family members so at this stage in my life I feel like every PRSI contribution counts just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Idleater wrote: »
    In addition to the PRSI gap, there might be a gap in health insurance.

This happened to me when I had to get a blood test in between jobs. My provider switched and the previous called me to ask (suggest) i pay for 2 weeks cover to retrospectively cover the expenses.

Just something to consider if applicable to your situation.
    I hadn't thought about my health insurance yet but appreciate the advice, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭skallywag

This does not sound all that unusual to me, and it can actually suit a lot of people when it happens.

It sounds to me that your employer just does not want you in the office anymore. You could try suggesting that you stay on the payroll for the four weeks, but take the last two weeks as gardening leave? If you are still on good terms with them then it may well work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thank you taking the time to respond. My biggest gripe is that this wasn't even discussed and is not how I set out the terms of my resignation. I have worked abroad for a number of years and have taken time out to care for family members so at this stage in my life I feel like every PRSI contribution counts just in case.

They don't have to discuss it with you. You are leaving in 4 weeks. They are paying you for those 4 weeks.

Nothing unusual here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If they let you be on annual leave for the last two weeks, you would be clocking up extra annual leave (typically about 1/2 a day) during that time, which they would have to pay you for at no benefit to them. No employer is going to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Something similar happened to me but go around it. I had booked 3 weeks leave, gave my notice but left it that I had one day work after the 3 weeks to return equipment etc. Got an extra day or half day leave that way, as well as pension contributions etc. You could try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Is there any recourse for me to dispute the approach taken by my employer

No, you do not get to decide how you leave the company. You have a contract with them and that overrides your own demands.

I would stop trying to make a problem here, as it may come across as a bit of a tantrum and quite unreasonable.

Advertisement