Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Kia Niro PHEV or EV

• 16-01-2021 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭ konline

Good morning. I would like to buy one of the above but have a few questions. Both models will work for me as most of the days I drive around 50km and 100-200km in weekends.
    My concern is which will hold the value if I want to sell it or trade in for another car in future?
    I am thinking if the battery capacity degrades then EV will lose its value sooner than PHEV. I could be wrong.
    Sorry if these are silly questions.
    Please share views and if anyone was in the same boat like me, unable to decide in the past and took a decision, please share your experience.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ snowcat

konline wrote: »
    Good morning. I would like to buy one of the above but have a few questions. Both models will work for me as most of the days I drive around 50km and 100-200km in weekends.
    My concern is which will hold the value if I want to sell it or trade in for another car in future?
    I am thinking if the battery capacity degrades then EV will lose its value sooner than PHEV. I could be wrong.
    Please share views and if anyone was in the same boat like me, unable to decide in the past and took a decision, please share your experience.

Thank you.

I have a 3 year old ioniq. Still has i think 100% capacity. 230kms range at the moment. Love the EV. Have a ICE on standby that has not been driven in 3 months. Woukd not go near it. Acceleration from the EV entertains me daily. In the real world so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ Glen Immal

I'd go EV given the choice. PHEV is a security blanket that you will realise you don't need after you buy it.
    Battery has an eight year warranty so don't worry about degradation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭ the_amazing_raisin

If there's ever a car you could make a profit on the E-Niro is it, they seem to be holding their value extremely well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭ kanuseeme

konline wrote: »

Thank you.

The phev is about 5000 euro cheaper, takes 2 hours and 15 minutes to charge, 0-60 in 10.5 seconds and 50 km range wtlp.

EV is about 450 km range, 0-60 in 7,5 seconds, 7 hours to charge at 7kW and fast charges to 80% in 45 mins?

Value in years to come, no bloody idea!!! :D:D:D

I went for a phev because I have only 1 car, most of my driving is within 40 km range and no guarantee that a charger will be available and I did not want to be waiting 30 minutes to charge up at the worst of possible times.

I figured on battery degradation as well and my thinking was it does not really matter with a phev, 50 km range new 25 km range 5 years later does not cost a lot in petrol. I can still get 40 km from my 6 year old outlander.

5000 euro would buy 3800 litres of petrol and assuming a real crappy figure of 10L/100 km it would get 38000 km.

Best of luck with your decision.

Advertisement