Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Rogers - ACTION BUTTON - long-form reviews

Options
  • 14-01-2021 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone been watching these?

I feel like I've learned more about how I perceive games as "art" through these videos, and how much their design influenced games in ways you may not have thought about, than from any other youtuber.
    The Tokimeki Memorial video in particular - it really opened my eyes to what we have potentially missed by having it never localized & having its design influence gamers & game developers.

Cyberpunk 2077 is up next... sometime in the future.
    Can't wait!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The Cyberpunk 2077 review

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

The recent Boku No Natsuyasumi review is well worth the (welp) six hours

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Any chance he does like, 5 min videos for those of us with selective ADHD? I won't put 4 hours aside to watch the Snyder cut of Justice League, don't think I could do 6 for a game review! Even an hour for Cyberpunk... it's a bit long!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was looking at my imported PSP copy of Boku just today and wondering if I should dig out my old PSP to give it another go after watching two-thirds of Tim’s review. Probably should still hold off for that in-the-works fan translation, although as alluded to in the review it’s not an easy one to localise for a few key presentational reasons.

Tim’s whole style, ever since his blogging days, is built around absurdly long deconstructions and indulgent tangents. It cannot be condensed. I kinda love his videos though - his deadpan style of humour has been beautifully refined through the years, his stylistic instincts have been honed, and more than anything his idiosyncratic, playful review style does what all good criticism should do: gets you to evaluate a game from entirely new perspectives. And in Tim’s case, that could be through 30 mins spent dissecting why the designers of Boku no Natsuyasumi chose a particular menu style 😅

Thankfully all his reviews are broken down into clear chapters so they’re easy to dip in and out of over a week or two.

Although I should note the Cyberpunk review is quite a bit longer than an hour - it has a clever ‘twist’ of sorts where its true structure is revealed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

You can dip in and out. Think of them as watching a six-hour TV series. Took me a few weeks to get through that one. Enjoyable though, even if they are heavy on the pretentiousness and waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started watching the Boku review after my friend said it was so good it really should have been in film festivals. Really enjoying it and also nice to see that Ray Barnholdt is in there since he was the one that brought attention to the series in the west.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always worth acknowledging how funny they are as well. I’ve found myself laughing out loud regularly during the Boku review - the man can write and deliver a great gag.

Advertisement