Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firebird Super Q 50/90 Won't Start Up

Options
  • 14-01-2021 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Ok so the boiler showed airlock light.

I bled it as normal but when I press the reset red button it's very low noise it makes instead of the loud sound before fire up and as you can imagine it doesn't get to the fire up stage at all

Any ideas, expensive fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Unlikely to be anything to do with an airlock. Lack of noise would suggest capacitor or motor possibly.

I would budget €250 and hope to get away with less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

If you can see the air intake at the burner, you might be able to see the fan impeller, ensure boiler switched off and see if you can turn the fan motor back and forth a little with a screwdriver, if very/fairly stiff, squirt some wd40 in around the impeller and keep freeing up with screwdrive, it might then restart. I got a neighbours Riello G5x going like this last September, was quite surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I got in and wd it and it turns free enough but makes a high pitched screeching sound as I turned it even after plenty WD

The reset button has light and when I press it it gives a low buzzing sound and can hear a click as it attempts to fire but nothing just more low buzzing sound

I have a plumber friend contacted anyways but just curious

Obviously shouldn't be screeching, a buzzing sound if very indicative of a seized motor/fan/pump but if you can turn it "freely" by hand then well worth trying a new 4 UF capacitor. Even though I am very familiar with 4 Riello G5x burners including my own, all are > 15 years old and have not come across a failed capacitor in any of them, they are a outstanding trouble free burner.
    It should be relatively easy to renew but easier to do with the burner removed from the boiler, if you do decide to renew it make sure it has a threaded stud on the end which screws neatly into the housing and the correct length cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Just an update for ye, it was the capacitor.

He's going to change a hot tank for me soon so will give her a service then as well thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

John.G wrote: »
    Obviously shouldn't be screeching, a buzzing sound if very indicative of a seized motor/fan/pump but if you can turn it "freely" by hand then well worth trying a new 4 UF capacitor. Even though I am very familiar with 4 Riello G5x burners including my own, all are > 15 years old and have not come across a failed capacitor in any of them, they are a outstanding trouble free burner.
    It should be relatively easy to renew but easier to do with the burner removed from the boiler, if you do decide to renew it make sure it has a threaded stud on the end which screws neatly into the housing and the correct length cabling.

John
    I go through on average 5 capacitors a week, screech is bearings, some can be oiled with 3in1 with the pump off. WD40 dries out to quick. And a twist of the shaft.

Tom44 wrote: »
    John
    I go through on average 5 capacitors a week, screech is bearings, some can be oiled with 3in1 with the pump off. WD40 dries out to quick. And a twist of the shaft.

On the neighbours one, the fan was fouling the casing, not sure why, maybe some form of corrosion? ut I removed the burner to squirt the WD40 between the fan and the casing and kept gently moving the fan back and forth as you can damage the impeller vanes quite easily, it took about 30 mins but running perfectly since

Advertisement