Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Thermostat and Old Boiler

Options
  • 14-01-2021 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all, I would love if someone can help me understand if my current heating/boiler setup is compatible with a smart thermostats (Hive, Nest, Netatmo etc) and if so how I could install myself. My preference is for the Netatmo one if possible.

I attach details and photos on current setup. Hopefully this helps answer my question.

Summary of setup (see attachment):
    BoilerHouse: Grant Slimline Boiler, IMIT Thermostat, Riello Burner, Grundfos Pump.
    IMM24 Immersion Timer in living room with a connected 'box' (not sure what it is) between this and the boiler setup outside
    Separate dual immersion and tank in hot press for water.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I have the Netatmo, I fitted it myself but I'm an engineer and am dealing with relays and electrical gear all the time. You would be replacing the clock timer with the Netatmo but as the Netatmo relay is rated very low you would need to use it to energise a 10A 230V relay which in turn allows 230V power to pass to the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I also installed the netatmo a few years ago and it was fairly easy in my case. If the remember correctly I joined the two neutral cables together and then connected the remaining cables to the netatmo thermostat.

Was fairly straightforward.

You need to check the boiler, the Netatmo is only rated for 4A maximum and you may also have a pump on the same mains feed. This is why I added a relay

• Registered Users Posts: 30 egg102530

Thanks for the reply Gooey Looey

The term 'relay' confuses me when it comes to Netatmo versus what a typical 'relay' means in electrical speak. Netatmo ships with a thermostat and a relay.

From netatmo guide its relay can be used either to provide connectivity between internet and netatmo thermostat or can connect to the boiler.

So you are saying the Netatmo Relay takes the place of the clock (essentially the 2nd option above) and connects directly to the boiler through the cables the clock is currently on.

Regarding the need for an actual relay, is that something i would simply connect between the Netatmo relay and the boiler burner?

Is there any way to get my hot water immersion in hot press linked into this setup? Currently the clock doesn't control that at all.

Thanks again for your help.!

I have the Netatmo, I fitted it myself but I'm an engineer and am dealing with relays and electrical gear all the time. You would be replacing the clock timer with the Netatmo but as the Netatmo relay is rated very low you would need to use it to energise a 10A 230V relay which in turn allows 230V power to pass to the boiler.

The Netatmo is a relay controlled by the temperature settings you set, you will find on the back common, normally open and normally closed the same as any relay. You would be breaking the live to power the boiler through common and normally open. In my case i used these to power a 230V relay and used common and normally open on this relay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Huge thread on the Home Automation & Internet of things forum. Check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

egg102530 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Gooey Looey

So you are saying the Netatmo Relay takes the place of the clock (essentially the 2nd option above) and connects directly to the boiler through the cables the clock is currently on.

Is there any way to get my hot water immersion in hot press linked into this setup? Currently the clock doesn't control that at all.

Hi,

I have (had) exactly the same setup as yourself before I installed my Netatmo.

Yes the Netatmo relay replaces the timer/clock that switches/connects to the boiler. It's straightforward to install and it's controlled by the Netatmo 'Energy' app on your smartphone. You also have a wireless thermostat you can place in any room and this can switch the boiler on/off via the relay depending on how you set it up. System works really well for me and I got it free a couple of years ago when I signed up with Energia for my Electricity for the year :)

I don't believe there is a way to control the immersion from the Netatmo. I'm considering adding a Sonoff to mine to control it via the Ewelink app but I'll need to add a contactor/relay betwen the sonoff and the 3.5kW immersion.

Netatmo works brilliantly though... well worth it :)

Advertisement