Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I sue my Elderly Uncle?

Options
  • 14-01-2021 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

I was over at his house and he was after washing the floor. He didnt have a wet sign up or didn't tell me and I slipped and now have a slipped disc.

He invited me into the kitchen without telling me or without a sign present.

What are my options here. I want compensation from him, maybe 150K for my medical bills and suffering.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Pcgamer wrote: »
    I was over at his house and he was after washing the floor. He didnt have a wet sign up or didn't tell me and I slipped and now have a slipped disc.

What are my options here. I want compensation.

I hope you gave him a dig on the way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,208 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Did you come up with this idea after watching Fair City lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You can sue anyone. Doesn't mean you'll win though.

This being Ireland, you'll likely get €20k though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

kingstevii wrote: »

Thanks for quoting the op I would never have guessed that reply was for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you visit a doctor to assess the damage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

I guess he could counter sue for reckless endangerment due to visiting his house illegally during a Level 5 lockdown.

Also you may have damaged his expensive floor. Then there’s the psychological damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

He should have given you a good kick in the arse when you were on the floor.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Did you visit a 14 year old to help you come up with your edgy yet thought-provoking idea for a thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Sue his arse off if it were me I would make sure I got everything he has including his clothes he can live naked in the bushes as far as I'd be concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

I see that decision to quit your job and start your own business is going well. You're so hard up for cash you're trying to sue your own family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

he may under threat arrive at your place to agree a settlement and trip on way in and counter sue.
    being elderly the courts may favour him and attack you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Call me a cynic if you must, but I have doubts concerning the veracity of this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

kingstevii wrote: »

He's after a digout not a dig on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Goway t fuk.

Hopefully you clean him out, forcing him to sell his house, leaving him destitute at the side of the road in the cold and damp.
    That 'll tesch him to wash his floor and recklessly endanger his loving nephew when calling around

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Instead of suing him why didnt you help him with his floor you lazy git? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

How did you come up with €150k?

Just plucked from thin air.... sure why not go larger.....€1.5m

Lets hope he's home insurance. if not he may need to sell the house to pay you.....

Sure fu€k him......ain't that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Hey OP, how's you're hangover this morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

To me .... this is an open and shut case.

I’d take him to the cleaners and go for €500k. People shouldn’t be washing floors when they have visitors..... sure it’s written in the Constitution.

Ps.... keep an eye of for any friends or neighbours buying mops and buckets etc and be sure to call around unexpectky . You have rights you know to walk where you like. Power to the People

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

tenor.gif

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

Yes gross negligence, when washing a floor in your own home you should always put up a wet floor sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Wait what video game is this?

How's unemployment suiting you man? Glad to hear you're keeping busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Are you sure its not your bollix that you injured? Its easy to get mixed up.

Op watches Judge Judy when he/she isn’t over sponging off their uncle!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Op watches Judge Judy when he/she isn’t over sponging off their uncle!

Pfffttt I think the OP is more a Judge Rimmer fan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Pcgamer wrote: »

What are my options here. I want compensation from him, maybe 150K for my medical bills and suffering.

Thanks

play your cards right and you could both profit , he gets a kickback for not impeding the claim

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hopefully you clean him out, forcing him to sell his house, leaving him destitute at the side of the road in the cold and damp.
    That 'll tesch him to wash his floor and recklessly endanger his loving nephew when calling around

even the OP ended up in a wheelchair having broken his neck , he would not succeed in taking the uncles house

people dont loose their homes in PR claim cases in this country no matter who reckless they were and how badly injured the other party was

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

are you sure he was washing the floor ?
    These oul boys can't make the armitage shanks sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I was over at his house - were you invited or did you break in?
    he was after washing the floor - the grammar police might arrest you
    He didnt have a wet sign up or didn't tell me - that was because the floor was now dry
    I slipped and now have a slipped disc. - slipped on what?
    He invited me into the kitchen without telling me or without a sign present. - a person would invite you without first telling you they were going to invite you, or a sign saying they were going to invite you.

Advertisement