Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite chocolate? What's the best quality in Irish stores ?

Options
  • 14-01-2021 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Looking for suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

depends what price range etc your talking about - do you mean in supermarkets or more artisan type products?

best in supermarkets imo is Lindt

artisan? depends where you live mayb...

I am a chocaholic but I actually don't like v rich chocolate.. like I find Butlers too rich and I really dislike Lilly O'Briens..

You cannot beat Marabou. (IKEA)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Those Lidl chocolate seashell things, oh my!
    Not a fan of Lindt, it's a very minor step up from Cadbury's imho.
    The Belgian chocs in M&S are pretty decent too.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Wilde Irish Chocolates (not shilling, i've no connection beyond buying from them in the markets every now and then and their chocolate is lovely)

First thought was Lindt, it's nice and smooth and milky.
    You cannot beat Marabou. (IKEA)

Marabou is a very good shout. To me it has a kind of toffee aftertaste, which makes it stand out a bit. from your regular old Cadbury and whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

chocolate gives me a headache so i rarely eat it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Still can't beat an auld Dairy Milk for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Pretty sure the chocolate hipsters are going to be along any minute to say that CaDbUrYs IsNt ReAlLy ChOcOlAtE!!!111!!

Cadbury's may be sweet but it's what most of us were reared on. A Twirl, Dairy Milk or Wispa melting in your mouth makes the pain of the world float away. Likewise, nibbling off the outer edges of a purple snack do skillfully expose the inner biscuit only to win the lottery and get one of those prized bars with no biscuit at all! And eating a Bourneville when you don't want to eat too much chocolate in one sitting, but do anyway.

Honourable mentions go for Lindt 70% and Alsi's Roser Moth. Lily O'Brien's and Thornton's are great. Any Belgian chocolate seashells I've tried have been great too.

Not a fan of Nestle/Mars chocolate. For those bars, it's the insides that make them. The actual chocolate by itself is too waxy

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Aldi’s Moser Roth is well liked in my house.
    I really love Skelligs, especially their chocolate shards. It’s my go to treat chocolate. It’s stocked in Avoca and other places. Their online service is good, the deliveries I got last year were one of the few highlights in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You can get as fancy as you want, still can't beat the simplicity of a Dairy Milk (8 square) or a Galaxy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Cadburys still make a few bars in their Coolock base and the emigrants crave them and can tell the difference from 'same' variety made elsewhere. Cadbury's mint crisp = yum but I am dark choc fan really and not fussy! Aldi Moser Roth good value....

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Calvin001

Zaney wrote: »
    Aldi’s Moser Roth is well liked in my house.
    I really love Skelligs, especially their chocolate shards. It’s my go to treat chocolate. It’s stocked in Avoca and other places. Their online service is good, the deliveries I got last year were one of the few highlights in 2020.

You need to visit Skelligs factor in Ballinskelligs then, avail of the free tasting samples :pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Lindt Lindor

Nothing else comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Had one of these recently, Tony's milk chocolate hazelnut.
    Really nice, would recommend.
    tonys-almond-hazelnut_500x.jpg?v=1604444525

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

100% shout out for Aldi Moser Roth.
    Particularly Orange and Almond and also Mint. Chili Salt lovely too; Love the way the big bar is opened and there are individually wrapped bars inside. So cheap too.....delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

lindt the master chocolatier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Milka is by far an underrated bar IMO. Their milk chocolate is probably the nicest of any around; really smooth.

Lindt's dark chocolate and orange bar is nice but other than that I'm not a huge fan.

If you're talking boxes of chocolates I do like Lily O'Briens, Butlers and Leonidas (not the liquors).
    Had one of these recently, Tony's...

I do like the Tony's bars but I've got to admit I'm puzzled by their marketing strategy - "Let's target the lonely, they probably eat a lot of chocolate and will want to be reminded of that as they eat."

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Although they're limited to just two shops in Dublin so availability for a lot of people is an issue, for me Hotel Chocolat is by far the best chocolate around. Their 65% Supermilk is unbelievably good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

ablelocks wrote: »
    Wilde Irish Chocolates (not shilling, i've no connection beyond buying from them in the markets every now and then and their chocolate is lovely)

hmm thanks - some of 'em look amazing.. praline and the hazelnut duet products in particular .. wonder if i can get em in Cork? i'll ask in The Chocolate Shop as they stock a lot of artisan choc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Cadbury's may be sweet but it's what most of us were reared on.

But the oily Cadbury's available in the shops today is completely different to the Cadbury's "we were reared on"

Old Cadbury's was great. Absolutely. But today's cheap muck - I still eat it 'cos I'm a chocoholic - is pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Can’t beat a bar of Galaxy chocolate or Galaxy caramel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Lots of great choc out there but Cadburys is still the best for me. You cant beat Dairy milks, Boosts and twirls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Toblerone and Terry’s Chocolate Orange is up there for me.

Cadbury’s is poor now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Calvin001 wrote: »
    You need to visit Skelligs factor in Ballinskelligs then, avail of the free tasting samples :pac::pac::D

Just came here to post this. Beautiful location and the chocolate is unbelievably good. My wife's mother has a holiday home nearby and we used to visit it everyday to the point that the staff recognised my kids and used to overload us with free samples!!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Had one of these recently, Tony's milk chocolate hazelnut.
    Really nice, would recommend.

Tony's is lovely.

I've bought Valrhona anytime I've seen it in a irish shop, really nice chocolate. You'd see it in places like Fallon & Byrne. A few years ago Brown Thomas had a load of their stuff, even cartons of drinking chocolate.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Toblerone and Terry’s Chocolate Orange is up there for me.

How could I forget Toblerone.

Sheer triangular heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

How could I forget Toblerone.

...and toblerone chocolate orange, and I will get one of those 5kg bars someday

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ...and toblerone chocolate orange, and I will get one of those 5kg bars someday

I never heard of these! Location of purchase please

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Lindt Sea Salt Darc Choc is unrivalled imo. Even compared to some of the artisan chocs knocking around these days. Eaten with some 85% Lindt and it's manna.

For sweeter milk choc honourable mention for Milka and Terry's. Like skelligs and Chez Emily stuff but nothing compares to the Lindt Sea Salt. Always goes out of stock in my local SV ahead of their other bars!

Cadburys has too many veg fats which will destroy your arteries as well as being mank.

• Advertisement
Advertisement