Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTX 3080 in a laptop, is it worth it?

Options
  • 13-01-2021 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am currently looking at getting a new laptop for some video editing but mostly gaming and have been looking at NVIDIAs RTX30xx range. As I often spend time away from home with work I will be looking for a laptop again but not sure whether the RT30xx range and more specifically the 3080 is worth the money. I have read everything that I can conume on this however I am still not sure whether I will look to purchase a laptop on 23rd once they are available, all help and advice would be appreciated. I would imagine the cooling would have to be pretty impressive as well in the smaller case so would the fan noise make it so that I could not use in the living room wile the mrs is watching TV?

Budget:N/A

Intended use: Mentioned already, mostly gaming/vidow/photo editing.

Mobility: Go everywhere by car, as long as it can fit in hand luggage for odd plane trip then will be fine.

Warranty: Not so much although if it came in less than a ton I would probably look at extending warranty

What Operating System do you use? Windows

Comments

if you have the money fair enough

but do you really need it?

a fast cpu like the new ryzen 5xxx and a RTX 3060 would be enough for most uses imo

if the laptop has a 1080p or even 1440p screen you won't be doing 4k gaming so don't need more...?

new Asus range previewed

maybe the G15 or A15 (cheaper) could be a good option.

wait for pricing and reviews

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2021/01/12/nvidia-announces-the-rtx-3060--rtx-2060-owners-look-away-now/?sh=d762c4b27962

Presume laptop specs will be broadly equivalent of this desktop card
    Nvidia has announced the RTX 3060 graphics card, which will retail from $329 and will be available in late February. Nvidia claims will offer twice the performance of the RTX 2060 and 10 times the performance in ray tracing.

RTX 3060 will have more gpu teraflops power than a Xbox Series X or a PS5 so should be good for the full generation of games really, even allowing for greater optimisation on the consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Looking at this as last device for quite ome time and as the guy said the video above, is a bit of a perfect storm, thinking of putting the best of what is available in there (dont think the 90 will be in a mobile version) so the 3080 was the plan, is a couple of hundred quid more expensive so yeah I suppose it does come down to whether there is value in that and whether the performance will be worth the pennies above the 3060.

I did think that the 80 would be available in Jan in a laptop but from that announcement looks like the 60 will not be available until february.

Was considering the AMD offering (is it 6800) but in tests that I have seen it underperforms the 70 and the 80 in most benchmarks, you can't really get them and it is more expenisve.

Looking at this as last device for quite ome time and as the guy said the video above, is a bit of a perfect storm, thinking of putting the best of what is available in there (dont think the 90 will be in a mobile version) so the 3080 was the plan, is a couple of hundred quid more expensive so yeah I suppose it does come down to whether there is value in that and whether the performance will be worth the pennies above the 3060.

I did think that the 80 would be available in Jan in a laptop but from that announcement looks like the 60 will not be available until february.

Was considering the AMD offering (is it 6800) but in tests that I have seen it underperforms the 70 and the 80 in most benchmarks, you can't really get them and it is more expenisve.

more like 800 euro plus more expensive for 3060 vs 3080 in a laptop

wait for the pricing and see

• Advertisement

G15 with 3070 looks a great option

Advertisement