Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop worth upgrading? or change

Options
  • 13-01-2021 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My brother has a HP 15-bw0xx Series. It has rarely been used (looks new) but runs very slow. I removed some bloatware and updated the laptop for latest updates, disabled some program start ups etc and its running a little faster.

Specs are as follows:
    Processor AMD A6-9220 RADEON R4
    4GB RAM
    AMD radeon r4 graphics
    1 TB HDD

I went to the crucial website and did and upgrade scan and I was advised I could get 16gb of ram and 1TB SSD for around €160 in all, I could also get less spec for cheaper.

Just wondering if you think the upgrades above would make a significant difference or would you advise paying extra and changing the laptop?

The laptop will only be used for basic excel work, some internet browsing, the odd MS Teams call etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,338 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wouldn't go sticking a 1tb SSD in it if only using for the purposes listed, instead stick a 240gb in, performance will be much improved from what he has. I'd then consider the RAM but again on what he's going to be using it for I don't see the need. Should be less than €40.

Yes go with a smaller ssd.

Go to 6gb ram for really cheap if for example you have a slot free for a 2gb stick. Would cost only a few euro from say adverts.

Even 6gb makes a difference

The cpu is pretty poor so not worth putting a lot of money into

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Thanks Glasso and Atlantic Daw. If I could get a SSD and an extra 2gb of ram for around €80 in all would you recommend it or call it quits on the machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

glasso wrote: »
    The cpu is pretty poor so not worth putting a lot of money into

Upgrading the RAM to a minimum of 8GB (preferably more) and replacing the drive with an SSD will improve it no end and is a better option than replacing the laptop unless you need gaming performance; in which case the CPU is the constraint.

I recently upgraded a similar spec machine with 240GB SSD and ram from 4GB to 12GB and it flies. I also bought an external caddy for the old 1TB drive so the storage is still available to use.

• Advertisement

it's the ssd is what makes the most difference, by far, especially on the boot up and program loading which is the most annoying part

a 240gb sata 2.5 inch ssd should only be about 30 euro on amazon

I know from ram usage that windows 10 with a load of chrome tabs and another program like say Excel will use less than 6gb ram

I'm suggesting 2gb ram extra as if it's a 1 x 4gb ram in there you only need a 2gb sodimm - ddr3 I'm guessing which people pretty much give away

if it's 2x 2gb in there then you need to buy a 4gb stick to upgrade

try adverts. 2nd =hand ram is fine. just make sure that it's laptop ram sodimm type

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

When buying RAM it's usually best to have two sticks of the same capacity as they run in dual channel mode then as opposed to single and because it's so cheap to get the ram from CEX as glasso linked, it's probably as well to get 2x4gb sticks or 1x4gb stick if there is already one 4gb stick in the laptop. Not a massive performance difference but like I said, the ram seems to be dead cheap.

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    When buying RAM it's usually best to have two sticks of the same capacity as they run in dual channel mode then as opposed to single and because it's so cheap to get the ram from CEX as glasso linked, it's probably as well to get 2x4gb sticks or 1x4gb stick if there is already one 4gb stick in the laptop. Not a massive performance difference but like I said, the ram seems to be dead cheap.

that's more for graphics performance more than anything and more so on some cpus than others

I wouldn't be hugely concerned with it in this case but no harm if the extra bit of cost doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

thank you all for the responses. Really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement