Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People using the Irish version of their name on Facebook

Options
  • 13-01-2021 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Ireland is obviously a bilingual little country and we all know people who use the Irish version of their first and/or last surname on Facebook.(nothing wrong with it)
    I'm just considering this aspect ... in work could a person use the irish version of their name to sign contracts/sign off on emails or is this not ok?
    A lot of people tend to jump on board for this for Seachtain na Gaeilge...is this something that would only be ok on a social media platform or?
    Genuine question...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Ireland is obviously a bilingual little country and we all know people who use the Irish version of their first and/or last surname on Facebook.(nothing wrong with it)
    I'm just considering this aspect ... in work could a person use the irish version of their name to sign contracts/sign off on emails or is this not ok?
    A lot of people tend to jump on board for this for Seachtain na Gaeilge...is this something that would only be ok on a social media platform or?
    Genuine question...

I sign everything in work in the anglicised version of my name. My bank account and other important docs are also in the anglicised b*stardised version. My birth cert is as Gaeilge and incorrect at that (the norm for registrars of old).

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

A work colleague signs everything with his name in Irish and will talk to anyone and everyone that comes into the office in Irish if they can speak it fluently. His email is his Irish name, well his first name is Sean so obviously it's a common enough name but his surname is also in Irish on his email and LinkedIn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I signed my work contract using the shortened version of my name. No one in work would ever know it’s not my real name. I’d use my birth name for official stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Is Maith liom

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Thanks guys...I suppose what I'm trying to ask is can you jump from your anglicised name to your Irish one on a whim or would there be any obvious issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

micah537 wrote: »
    A work colleague signs everything with his name in Irish and will talk to anyone and everyone that comes into the office in Irish if they can speak it fluently. His email is his Irish name, well his first name is Sean so obviously it's a common enough name but his surname is also in Irish on his email and LinkedIn.

I think the op means if your name is "english" can you suddenly switch it to the irish version.

Op I'd say if you asked your hr department you'd get more guidance. They probably wouldn't have a problem once you picked one and stuck to it.....if you were continually interchanging between the two it would be confusing, so they'd probably have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

This always makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

I think the op means if your name is "english" can you suddenly switch it to the irish version.

Op I'd say if you asked your hr department you'd get more guidance. They probably wouldn't have a problem once you picked one and stuck to it.....if you were continually interchanging between the two it would be confusing, so they'd probably have an issue.

That's exactly what I meant ...if I wanted to use the "Irish" version of my surname for email sign off during seachtain na gaeilge would that be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

My favourite thing is when they put their name in Irish despite their vocabulary barely stretching beyond Tá and Níl

Cerveza wrote: »
    Is Maith liom

sneachta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's exactly what I meant ...if I wanted to use the "Irish" version of my surname for email sign off during seachtain na gaeilge would that be okay.

Only your company can answer that and it could also depend on who you email. If you regularly email other countries it could raise issues if your surname changes.

Genuine question...

Yes, you can sign off using Irish version if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

People use it to hide their identity to a certain degree, my cousin is a teacher and uses her Irish name so as the kids parents can't look her up...seems to be a common practice in that line of work

Genuine question...

My name can not be Irish-ized. In primary school my teacher crossed out my name and wrote her translation of my name on my copybooks. When my mother saw it, she crossed it out and wrote my regular name. This loop happened about three times more until my mother went in and had what I imagine was an impassioned debate with the teacher. My name stopped getting crossed out by the teacher.

I wish there'd been some Polish kids in the class. That teacher's head would have exploded!

Edit: my mother was fluent in irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Gotta check it's compliant with HR!

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 30,325 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Teachers seem to do it for some reason.
    The pupil's will never figure it out.

Teachers seem to do it for some reason.
    The pupil's will never figure it out.

I can understand teacher's wanting to hide their identity.

But, there's better ways of doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Very middle class thing

• Registered Users Posts: 30,325 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can understand teacher's wanting to hide their identity.

But, there's better ways of doing it.

We'd have had Facebook in 5th/6th year. It was great fun seen who was the best creep at tracking them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

Ireland is bilingual? Not even close to it.

• Advertisement

We'd have had Facebook in 5th/6th year. It was great fun seen who was the best creep at tracking them down.

Facebook hadn't been invented when I was in secondary school. Thank God!

It must be a minefield for teachers since Facebook was invented. I've heard stories of a 6th year finding his economics teacher on tinder..

Ireland is bilingual? Not even close to it.

Please watch this short video:

https://youtu.be/JqYtG9BNhfM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Facebook hadn't been invented when I was in secondary school. Thank God!

It must be a minefield for teachers since Facebook was invented. I've heard stories of a 6th year finding his economics teacher on tinder..

18 year old on tinder finding another adult not that uncommon

18 year old on tinder finding another adult not that uncommon

I know. Thats what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

People use it to hide their identity to a certain degree, my cousin is a teacher and uses her Irish name so as the kids parents can't look her up...seems to be a common practice in that line of work

I know a few teachers who do that but seems pointless, the pupils will find them either way if they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I use my Irish surname in addition to a slight misspelling of my first name to make me harder to find on Facebook. I like it better that way though I’m not sure why. I’m not looking to be no influencer. I just want my friends and family seeing what I’m up to.

Get a half fashy vibe off of this, especially from ppl i was at school with who hardly had two words of english let alone irish.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

People using their nickname are much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Cad é 'Facebook', le do thoil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My name can not be Irish-ized. In primary school my teacher crossed out my name and wrote her translation of my name on my copybooks. When my mother saw it, she crossed it out and wrote my regular name. This loop happened about three times more until my mother went in and had what I imagine was an impassioned debate with the teacher. My name stopped getting crossed out by the teacher.

I wish there'd been some Polish kids in the class. That teacher's head would have exploded!

Edit: my mother was fluent in irish.

Same here , my surname cant be given an Irish translation, I got detention for arguing with a teacher.
    My father dropped into the teacher asking where she got the translation pointing out the origin of our surname showing her how many people shared our surname in the country , 7 I believe at the time.

He too was fluent in Irish.

Advertisement