Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VIES Return Vs VAT Return

Options
  • 12-01-2021 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi All

Hopefully someone can help.

Its a simple question, but maybe not a simple answer.

Should the Value on a VIES return match the Intra EU value on a VAT Return?

ALSO - It says Goods and Services for VIES - is carriage deemed a service?

Thank you
    Paddyo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Paddyo wrote: »
    Hi All

Hopefully someone can help.

Its a simple question, but maybe not a simple answer.

Should the Value on a VIES return match the Intra EU value on a VAT Return?

ALSO - It says Goods and Services for VIES - is carriage deemed a service?

Thank you
    Paddyo

Theoretically, I believe the E1 and ES1 combined should match VIES total, and would check before submitting, but I've never seen queries if there were differences.

If the carriage is incidental to goods sold and on the same invoice, I have always recorded the total as a single item under goods.
    If the carriage is logistics for third party items, I would record as a service.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

ari101 wrote: »
    Theoretically, I believe the E1 and ES1 combined should match VIES total, and would check before submitting, but I've never seen queries if there were differences.

If the carriage is incidental to goods sold and on the same invoice, I have always recorded the total as a single item under goods.
    If the carriage is logistics for third party items, I would record as a service.

Hope that helps.

Did you or your company personally provide the carriage for the goods? If not, the value of the goods only, goes at E1. Entries at ES1 relate to services only, e.g. if you provided a consultant report or translation service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 thorpi

EDIT:
    And, typically, I find no answer for an hour, but after i post the question, I find it:
    revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/Part04-place-of-taxable-transactions-place-of-supply/distance-sales/goods-distance-sales.pdf

Where a supplier who is registered for VAT in the State makes distance sales to other
    Member States but does not exceed the registration threshold in that Member State,
    they must account for Irish VAT on the supply of goods. The VAT on the distance
    sales should be input in Box T1 and not in Box E1.

ORIGINAL QUESTION:

Regarding E1 and Distance Sales (website sales to private individuals in EU), if you are low volume, below the detailed INTRASTAT threshold and also below the EU receiving country threshold.
    Those sales do not go on E1?

Because, from this description it seems pretty clear that you should

revenue.ie/en/vat/accounting-for-vat/how-to-account-for-value-added-tax/how-do-you-complete-a-vat3-return.aspx
    E1 – Intra-EU supplies of goods
    This is the total value of goods sent to customers in other EU countries.

But, on here:

revenue.ie/en/vat/goods-and-services-to-and-from-abroad/distance-sales/index.aspx#:~:text=Distance%20sales%20occur%20when%20goods,It%20includes%3A&text=phone%20or%20tele%2Dsales,goods%20ordered%20over%20the%20internet.

If your distance sales exceed the appropriate threshold in an EU Member State, you must:

1. register for VAT in that Member State
    2. account for VAT at the appropriate rates in that Member State
    3. include the value of the goods in the E1 box on your Irish VAT 3 return.

And also on the manual, page 78
    revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/documents/vies/vies-intrastat-traders-manual.pdf

A distance seller, registered for VAT in Ireland but not registered for VAT in the
    partner Member State involved in the distance sales transaction, must declare his/
    her Dispatches (incl. those to private individuals) to that partner Member State on his/
    her detailed monthly INTRASTAT declaration as per (a) above but should not include
    those Dispatches to private individuals in box E1 of his/ her Irish VAT 3 declaration.

Can someone confirm please?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Thank you all for you replies

Advertisement