We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Final Report of the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes

Comments

Its incredibly difficult to read even small snippets of the report- please look after yourselves everyone.

This. Could only read bits of it in small segments, then had to close it and come back to it later. Then made the mistake of opening the RTÉ News app.

I'm honestly shocked at how poor the report is. Utter ****e, like "little evidence to show women were abused or mistreated" - then detailing that abuse and mistreatment on page after page.

Some of the recommendations are bizarre. What, exactly, is supposed to be achieved by just blankly waiting for six months from when someone applies for their birth cert to when they're given it?

The apology read in the Dáil went further than I suspected it might- however, it must be backed up actions.
    Lets see what the various arms of the Irish state do, to try and assist all of those affected by the Mother and Baby Homes.

The apology is completely premature and meaningless, until such time as they've actually acted. Access to information, birth certs, reparation, and counselling (but only for those that want it - no "mandatory counselling session if you want your birth cert"). Until then, it's just waffle.

I find it utterly repulsive that the church want the government to provide "compensation"

I am somewhat confused as to how compensation will help these people......you cannot buy their dignity back

it would be remiss NOT to say that society as well as the church and state failed these women and children and in a lot of cases their own families

my own sister could very easily have been sent to one of these places if my father wasn't alive and not afraid of The Clergy. My mother wanted her out of sight and found her "situation" shameful - yet didn't find it shameful to offer her money for an abortion

Deeply disappointing that government are taking the line that society was to blame rather than hold those individuals who were culpable to account.

Of course the church are to blame, they imagine that they'll get another sweetheart deal out of the government after the manner in which they conned the government and the Irish taxpayers the last time round.

The report only looks at 18 of the 197 identified mother and baby homes- and some of the largest ones alongside adoption agencies such as the CPRSI and SPG are not covered at all.

This report- while voluminous, is more notable for its appalling tone and its missing the 89% of such institutions- than it is in giving any manner of a reasonable narrative on what happened back then.

No- it wasn't society's fault- it was the fault of the catholic church to which it appears everyone, including the Irish politicians, were in thrall.

Today's politicians need to grow some gonads, and inform the Irish catholic church that its properties are being taken, en mass, and turned into public spaces for the people of today and tomorrow, to enjoy- but also to remember, how our mothers, and we ourselves, were failed, first and foremost by the catholic church.

Thankfully- the country no longer seems to be in thrall to, well anyone- however, this does not excuse the lack of a fair and reasonable narrative on what happened- and we do not yet have that fair and reasonable narrative, we have a white washed document that seeks to apportion blame to nameless entities- such as societal norms- rather than looking at why society had these 'norms' and how can the propogators of these norms be brought to justice.

Justice, for adopted people, means our rights as members of Irish society have to be acknowledged. We have to be given our birth certificates and all information that is on file as it pertains to us as individuals. We also need to have a properly resourced contact tracing system- and we do not want to be preached at with demands such as 'no we won't help you until you do a reunion course in Barnados' or some such bullcrap.

As for the tome they are foisting on us- the presumption is that no-one is going to read 3,000 pages, so its safe as a document. Even the sodding executive summary is 200 pages long.

The more I've read of it- the angrier I am.

There are printed copies of the report (both an initial executive summary (running to some 200-300 pages, and a subsequent series encompassing the entire report) to be made available to all previous residents of the 18 institutions covered by the Report (including babies born there).

Please see details on how to request a printed executive summary and the whole report (if required- please don't request it, if you don't intend to read it) here

Note: when contacting the Department do not forget to include a statement to satisfy their GDPR requirements, specifically giving them permission to share your details with third parties for the purpose of facilitating your request. If you do not satisfy this requirement, you do not get the printed copy of the report, period.

I would suggest people only request the executive summary in the first instance- and once you've read it, decide at that stage whether or not to apply for the entire report.

In the society of the time, having a member of the family give birth out of wedlock was seen as a failure by the family to maintain proper control over the girl and a failure to rear her properly. Girls and single young women were subject to strict curfew and chaperone regimes to try and ensure they did not become pregnant.

There are printed copies of the report (both an initial executive summary (running to some 200-300 pages, and a subsequent series encompassing the entire report) to be made available to all previous residents of the 18 institutions covered by the Report (including babies born there).

Please see details on how to request a printed executive summary and the whole report (if required- please don't request it, if you don't intend to read it) here

Note: when contacting the Department do not forget to include a statement to satisfy their GDPR requirements, specifically giving them permission to share your details with third parties for the purpose of facilitating your request. If you do not satisfy this requirement, you do not get the printed copy of the report, period.

I would suggest people only request the executive summary in the first instance- and once you've read it, decide at that stage whether or not to apply for the entire report.

The report is also available online.

Society & Culture