Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best phone for €200-€250?

Options
  • 12-01-2021 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

What's the best mid range phone (or would that price range be budget phones now?) out there at the minute?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Wheety wrote: »
    What's the best mid range phone (or would that price range be budget phones now?) out there at the minute?

My phone broke recently and I picked up a Samsung A20, it was less than €200, very happy with it, has everything you'd need and does most of the things a more expensive phone will do. Battery life is quite good also. Your price range is definitely budget nowadays with the latest phones costing around €1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I'm looking to purchase a phone in that range too, looking at either the Redmi Note 9 Pro or the Poco X3.
    Although I'd actually prefer to stay away from Xiaomi as I don't like the Mi user experience, would perfect something closer to stock android

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sammy A51 is a killer at that price. Its really really solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

We really need to know what you find essential in a phone. Does the camera need to be fantastic, do you need a big battery. Do you intend to watch movies on it. do you need a lot of storage

At this price point all the phone sacrifice something so we need to know what you can live without

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

ED E wrote: »
    Sammy A51 is a killer at that price. Its really really solid.

Thanks, I'll have a look.
    seannash wrote: »
    We really need to know what you find essential in a phone. Does the camera need to be fantastic, do you need a big battery. Do you intend to watch movies on it. do you need a lot of storage

At this price point all the phone sacrifice something so we need to know what you can live without

It's for my brother in law. I have the Pixel 3a and if that was still available on Vodafone for €150 or whatever price it works out at, I'd be telling him to get that.

He doesn't really use it much. Only has a few apps on it. So it can be fairly basic but still I'd like to suggest a decent one. I'm just a bit out of the loop on phones now. I used to recommend the Motos to people for that budget but having a quick look and the choices are bewildering now.

So I suppose a decent processor and RAM, with camera next on the list.

He's not very techy so I'm not sure if he'd like the Xiaomi OS. As close to stock Android as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Fed up looking and just bought the Poco X3, €205 for the 64gb version

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 I'm also in the market in this price range. Recent research suggests the 32GB Samsung A21s would fit my requirements but happy to consider other options.

I'm a light user so battery capacity isn't a huge issue. I don't care about the camera, one camera lens on the rear would do me and I don't watch movies on the phone. I would have a reasonable number of apps so need decent RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 I'm also in the market in this price range. Recent research suggests the 32GB Samsung A21s would fit my requirements.

I'm a light user so battery capacity isn't a huge issue. I don't care about the camera, one camera lens on the rear would do me and I don't watch movies on the phone. I would have a reasonable number of apps so need decent RAM.
    3 gigs of ram on that one it seems
    Realme make some great phones for little money. The below one is a decent shout

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Realme-X50-5G-Smartphone-Silver/dp/B08C31SHHD?ref_=ast_sto_dp

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jonnybangbang

3 gigs of ram on that one it seems
    Realme make some great phones for little money. The below one is a decent shout

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Realme-X50-5G-Smartphone-Silver/dp/B08C31SHHD?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I wanted to thank you for the above suggestion. While doing a bit of research I saw your link above for the Realme X50 and took the plunge and bought it Friday night. It arrived yesterday. Is a great phone.
    I had been looking at Samsung A51, Samsung A71 and the Sony L4 beforehand as I previously had the Samsung S7 edge and I was looking for a budget phone as I didn't want to/ or couldn't spend €900+ on a Flagship phone. I only have the phone a day so I can't speak about how long it will last but below I have listed some of the pros and cons that I found so far. The con's are more of the the features which I had on the S7 edge and don't on the Realme x50. ( Not surprising for the price point)

Pros of the Realme X50
    • Glass Front and Back metal frame
    • 128GB storage
    • 6Gb RAM
    • Large Display
    • 4 cameras on back, two on front ( I don't really care but their there.)
    • Great Price for the specs on phone
    • Android 10
    • Side finger Print sensor

Con's
    • No SD Card for storage expansion.
    • No wireless charging
    • I miss the LED indicator. (I have to wake it to check if its charging)
    • Finger print magnet.( I'll be putting a cover on it anyway)

Advertisement