Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get landline/broadband installed - newly built home

Options
  • 12-01-2021 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,
    in 2020 I moved into my newly built home. In March last year I had a contract with Eir for landline and broadband, however once the engineer came to install it they realized that the phone pole is too far away, and that a "box" would need to be installed underground by the road at the entrance of my gate, and that it would do instead of a phone pole. They said they were going to forward the request (as it needs planning permission) and that eventually it will get done. In the meantime Eir cancelled the contract with me, but I was assured that the request was still being processed in the background and that once the infrastructure was there I could sign a new contract. However as per today no infrastructure has been installed and I am sure it will never happen.
    Does anybody have an idea how do I get the infrastructure of a new landline/broadband installed? No point calling Eir, I've done it so many times can only get through the sales line and they do not know anything, all the other phone numbers you need an account to access their customer service/technical team.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

Can you search your eircode on https://nbi.ie to check is it involved in the national broadband plan rollout?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Vale7vale

Hi GavoTrav, the current timeline for the national broadband rollout in this area is Dec 21 - May 22. However it used to be Dec 20 - Feb 21 so I cannot really rely on that for the moment. I am currently using a satellite internet connection, but speed is really low. I would like to have a landline access so that I could have a phone broadband, which seams more reliable than the satellite internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Could try mobile broadband if you have good 4G signal

Hi Jdon72, this area has poor mobile coverage also, and once indoor the signal isn't strong enough unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You won't get fixed line, not anymore. Force OpenEir and they'll give you the FMS product that is useless. Totally useless.

You can mount an external antenna to overcome insulation issues. The mind boggles that people buy/build without checking first.

• Advertisement

I appreciate your feedback ED E, however is not your place to judge where people buy or build. I think it is outrageous that in 2021 we still have this kind of issues with internet connection, when I am living 2 minutes away from a town that it is fully connected, and that the road I live is considered rural, although there are lots of houses, but not estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Vale7vale wrote: »
    I appreciate your feedback ED E, however is not your place to judge where people buy or build. I think it is outrageous that in 2021 we still have this kind of issues with internet connection, when I am living 2 minutes away from a town that it is fully connected, and that the road I live is considered rural, although there are lots of houses, but not estates.

There is fibre 600mtrs from my house and eir refuse to run it to my home. Boils my blood

Advertisement