Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2016 Chrome and Gmail has stopped.

Options
  • 12-01-2021 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2016 tablet. Chrome and Gmail no longer work, stopped sometime over Christmas.
    With Gmail, I can see the emails but cannot open them. "Email has stopped" is returned. Similar for Chrome.
    Tried a reset, a hard reset with cache clear. No difference.
    A quick search recommends clearing cache and storage for Google Play services.
    Made no difference.
    Android version is 8.1.0.
    Have the same version of Google Play services on my phone and the phone version uses a lot more storage for the application ( 470 MB vs 106 MB ).
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

seems like quite an old version of android, does it support newer? I think as a 2016 it should.
    If you go into settings -software update, does it show anything?
    I would update that, sign into the play store, try and download any app, see if any error messages then or prompts for updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bobgaf

Checking the software, the tablet indicates the latest updates have already been installed.
    So software update is not an option.

What kind of reset did you do on the tablet?
    Full reset to factory settings should fix it, but you would need to make sure you backup anything important first, like photos etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bobgaf

Hard reset with cache clear which did not work. Did not want to do factory reset due to photos etc.
    Made some progress as follow.
    Identified the problem Google apps which in my case were Google, Chrome and Gmail.
    Force-stopped each of these in Apps and uninstalled updates.
    Went to the Google Play Store and took fresh updates for each of the affected apps.
    Seems to have worked so far, Google, Chrome and Gmail no longer crash.
    Hopefully, this will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

That's interesting. I also have a 2016 Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 model SM-T580 which I'm having issues with. Getting timeouts with apps like Twitter and Irish Times etc when going through my home broadband from Eir. Everything else in the house seems to work fine.

When I switch over to my mobile hotspot everything on the tablet works fine - mobile is with Vodafone.

Android version is 8.1.0 with the April 2020 security patch.

• Advertisement

nc6000 wrote: »
    That's interesting. I also have a 2016 Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 model SM-T580 which I'm having issues with. Getting timeouts with apps like Twitter and Irish Times etc when going through my home broadband from Eir. Everything else in the house seems to work fine.

When I switch over to my mobile hotspot everything on the tablet works fine - mobile is with Vodafone.

Android version is 8.1.0 with the April 2020 security patch.

your wifi is likely broadcasting 2 networks on one ssid, 2.4 and 5ghz. 5 is better for speed if in range, while 2.4 is better for distance.
    Maybe check in wifi settings what speed it is connected at? may require changing a setting on your router to split the network from "home " to "home 2.4ghz" and "home 5ghz"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

phill106 wrote: »
    your wifi is likely broadcasting 2 networks on one ssid, 2.4 and 5ghz. 5 is better for speed if in range, while 2.4 is better for distance.
    Maybe check in wifi settings what speed it is connected at? may require changing a setting on your router to split the network from "home " to "home 2.4ghz" and "home 5ghz"

Something must have changed in the recent update to my Deco mesh as it was working fine since early last year. I switched on the 5GHz guest network and connected the tablet to this and it's working again! :)

nc6000 wrote: »
    Something must have changed in the recent update to my Deco mesh as it was working fine since early last year. I switched on the 5GHz guest network and connected the tablet to this and it's working again! :)

delighted it worked for you :)

Advertisement