Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Downsides to closing traditional bank account

Options
  • 12-01-2021 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice on this topic.

Currently have a revolut, n26, monese and BOI account. Of course BOI is now charging 6€ per month. I'm moving to NI so obviously am planning to close this account. I've had this account for 8 years, it was my 'main' account up until I started using revolut/n26.

I'm wondering are there are any reasons to NOT close this account that I can't think of? Could this potentially affect a mortgage application in future if I wanted to buy something in my hometown?

If I do close, of course I'll be downloading all of my bank statements.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

If you ever need to lodge cash or cheques, that could be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

Cameraman wrote: »
    If you ever need to lodge cash or cheques, that could be a problem.

Yea fair point, although I havent lodged a cheque/cash since college so hopefully wouldn't be an issue. Anything else you reckon would be impacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You will probably still get idiot companies refusing to take SO or DD instructions from EU but non-IE IBAN's, like Revlout or N26, even though they are required to by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

retalivity wrote: »
    You will probably still get idiot companies refusing to take SO or DD instructions from EU but non-IE IBAN's, like Revlout or N26, even though they are required to by law.

Ah yea good point, its only the last few months that 3 started accepting revolut. I do plan on opening an account in the UK with a traditional bank, a friend of mine told me LLoyds bank do not have these charges, I'll need to look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

retalivity wrote: »

That used to be the case but seemingly not anymore IMO.
    I setup up a virtual revolut card and use the IBAN for all DD's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Im thinking of closing my AIB account in favor of the health services credit union who offer a current account and MC debit card.

I really cant think of any reason to not say bye bye to AIB? The CU, or any other bank can have access to your banking history if required

• Registered Users Posts: 21 j.quinn.esq

If you ever need a cheque cashed i find it is never a problem in the local pub i drink in , the owner knows me years and has no problems doing it, could be an option for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you ever need a cheque cashed i find it is never a problem in the local pub i drink in , the owner knows me years and has no problems doing it, could be an option for you.

Well that will work unless it is specifically crossed, which is usual if the amount is large amount etc....

Advertisement