Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensing oil boiler needs permanent feed?

Options
  • 12-01-2021 6:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Nearly sure it does but ive forgotten?

Does it, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Wesekn. wrote: »

Does it, Thanks

I'm also wondering. I bought a grant boilerhouse vortex 50/90 and I can't see a permanent feed to the riello burner. The kitchen versions and system versions do have this.
    It looks like boiler demand live from house thermostat goes to the two boiler thermostats one a hi limit and the other the 65 degree thermostat and that live then goes to the burner.
    What should the circulating pump be wired to the burner live or the house thermostat switched demand live?
    Presumably theres no overrun if wired to the burner live. If wired to the thermostat demand live then the boiler could modulate too much as it's heat is being dumped by the circulating pump and if wired to permanent live would be wasteful and cause excess rust as the return is below 40degrees
    The kitchen versions have a 2 minute overrun fitted incidentally along with full frost protection .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

Overrun and frost protection needs permanent supply, some boilers have it as standard

I can't remember the condensing boiler itself

I'd be reasonably confident I left one on the original job going back a few years now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Does it, Thanks

It will say in the boiler manufacturer's installation instructions.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It will say in the boiler manufacturer's installation instructions.

Thanks ya I've wired loads of them but I do forget things

I'd always leave the spare core so I'd say it's there since the original boiler went in ~10yrs ago

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Whether its condensing or standard boiler isn't the deciding factor on if a permanent live is needed. There is nothing different about a condensing boiler that has to do with wiring.

Most newer boilers will require it. All outside ones should have it, if only for frost protection, but pump over run or even post purge.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    Whether its condensing or standard boiler isn't the deciding factor on if a permanent live is needed. There is nothing different about a condensing boiler that has to do with wiring.

Most newer boilers will require it. All outside ones should have it, if only for frost protection, but pump over run or even post purge.

Thanks

Thanks

Is post purge and overrun the same thing then?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Is post purge and overrun the same thing then?

No. Post purge is when the fan on the burner runs without firing to expel the combustion products from the combustion chamber.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Wearb wrote: »
    No. Post purge is when the fan on the burner runs without firing to expel the combustion products from the combustion chamber.

K thanks for that

Advertisement