Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drains in Back Garden

Options
  • 11-01-2021 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

There are 3 drains in the back garden of our house. The one just at the back of the house is for waste water from the kitchen sink. The 2nd one is for the bathroom and the waste water from the 1st drain. The 3rd one is where the water drains into the main public manhole.

My question is, should there always be water in the 2nd drain?

Also, which drain is the storm water drain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

so are you opening manholes here?
    what do your rain water down pipes feed into: could just be a fresh drain, what age is the house

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

so are you opening manholes here?
    what do your rain water down pipes feed into: could just be a fresh drain, what age is the house

There are no down pipes! We live in a block of houses and every second house
    house have the d/pipes fitted.
    Do you know the answers to the 2 questions I asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Is it an open drain? i.e. can water from the surface drain into it?
    Or are you pulling off solid covers to inspect?

Some drains/gullies will have a trap a bit like what you would find under a sink. In that case you will see water when you look down in to it. If its not fully covered it will be more likely to have a trap to catch solid items that get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

cnoc wrote: »
    There are no down pipes! We live in a block of houses and every second house
    house have the d/pipes fitted.
    Do you know the answers to the 2 questions I asked?

Not without you answering mine as I need more intel.
    On reflection dont bother, am out of here.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Is it an open drain? i.e. can water from the surface drain into it?
    Or are you pulling off solid covers to inspect?

Some drains/gullies will have a trap a bit like what you would find under a sink. In that case you will see water when you look down in to it. If its not fully covered it will be more likely to have a trap to catch solid items that get into it.

The 2nd and 3rd drains have a steel cover. The 1st one has a cover that allows water from the kitchen sink to flow into it and always has water in it. The 2nd one has water in it all the time too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mkristiansen

Advertisement