Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you change in Irish renting legislation?

Options
  • 10-01-2021 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

I would like this to be a balanced thread so with this in mind I propose every poster should suggest legislation to protect both tent and landlord.

I'll start:

Landlords

A more regulated system should exist whereby deposits aren't kept with the landlord but a neutral body.

They really should enforce rules regarding landlords not giving proper notice to enter rented property. It's a tenant's dwelling when rented and to me Ireland was one of the worst for this.

Tenants

There really should be more power to remove problem tenants. I've heard and experienced some horror stories in this regard.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Landlord tax treated as a business. Bad Landlords banned from renting in the future

Bad tenants removed within 14 days. All evictions within 30 days. Rent arrears/damage linked to PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭DubCount

Great Idea for a thread. Well done OP.

Landlords:
    1) Bypass RTB for evictions related to rent arears, anti-social behaviour or overholding. Straight to quickly accessed courts who can give an order to call in the bailiffs if required.
    2) Realistic option to obtain meaningful court orders against tenants who leave with outstanding rent or property damage
    3) Abolish anti-discrimination against HAP
    4) Abolish RPZs

Tenants:
    1) Rent deposit held by RTB and not landlord
    2) Tax incentive for landlords who offer long term leases (3 year minimum)
    3) Allow unfurnished rentals
    4) Have a legal timeframe for LL to deal with repair requests

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thanks Dubcount. From other threads I think there's an illusion of one sidedness. I think most people are reasonable and understand that if you remove the bad elements from both sides then things will improve for everybody.

I am currently renting in Germany and there seems to be a lot of protection for both tenants and LLs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Rental income taxed correctly as trading income not PAYE on full amount.

Proper deposit scheme

Legislation to allow prompt removal of bad tenants, coupled with legislation to give stronger security of tenure to good tenants.

In a nutshell, CTRL C from Germany and CTRL V here please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

ELM327 wrote: »
    Rental income taxed correctly as trading income not PAYE on full amount.

Proper deposit scheme

Legislation to allow prompt removal of bad tenants, coupled with legislation to give stronger security of tenure to good tenants.

In a nutshell, CTRL C from Germany and CTRL V here please.

Laws to protect decent citizens and punish criminals, chancers and scumbags: zero chance of happening in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement