Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimum operating pressure for sealed system

Options
  • 10-01-2021 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Greetings everyone!

I'm back, with another question :pac:.

I have an Ideal Icos HE24 boiler. It heats 8 double rads - allegedly 'high efficiency' they're thin rads with fins in the centre. They're of varying sizes as stipulated by the firm who installed them. In addition there's a towel rail radiator.

Its a sealed system, and hot water is from the cylinder which is on a separate zone which only operates very early in the morning for an hour, rarely is it activated at the same time as the heating.

When Off, the gauge in the kitchen under the boiler reads about 0.8Bar. When the heating is running this rises to about 1.2Bar.

The heating is working fine.

Finally , to the question(s) :
    1. Does the running pressure have any impact on the heating ability of the system?

Also, I can hear the system running if the telly is off. The sound of water moving - not bubbles or anything like that - in any rad I'm near. This might better describe the sound. If you turn don't the control valve on radiator, the nearer it gets to completely off, the more you hear the 'hissing' sound till it stops when the valve is fully closed. So, that's the type of sound I hear all the time. My rads are controlled by Myson TRVs. So, Q2

2. Does the running pressure have any impact on this permanent (albeit it low) hissing sound from my system? eg, increase the pressure to 1.5 Bar and the noise will stop?

I'm asking this out of curiosity as, in all other respects, the heating does what's asked of it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 omegab

All sounds fine, you could top it up a bit to say 1.2 bar cold. The hissing sound is from the TRV being a small gap - your pump speed may be up too high and you could turn it down a setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Thanks omegab.

I'm unable to find any reference to pump speed settings for this boiler, but looking at the installation manual, I can see that the pump body and some sort of attached electrics, is well within the body of the boiler, thus unreachable by the great unwashed - me :eek:. I know someone who interfered with his boiler and it subsequently burned the kitchen down, I'm not risking that.

I'll leave the pressure alone. the inlet valve is in the attic - far from the gauge. that means its a one man + one woman job to bring the pressure up safely. And I do hate sending her up there :pac::pac::pac:

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 omegab

My gas burner has the pump embedded in it as well and it has an internal bypass value (to regulate the maximum pressure) and I can hear it in the bedroom radiator when only that one is calling for heat. As you said leave well enough alone, the energy consumption difference is minimal and in my Volkera one the pump is fixed speed so nothing to do there anyways.

Advertisement