Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why aren't rent prices dropping?

Options
  • 10-01-2021 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

Dublin City apartment dweller here. Seeing an opportunity lower my rental expenses with this remote working craic, I have to ask.

Why are rental prices not falling in Dublin given we are having major shift in the nature of how we work? Remote working is here to stay for 2021 anyway.

Another reason rent should fall is all the Airbnb rentals have been let into the market increasing supply. This should further drive prices down with increased supply and less demand in the market.

Can anyone explain this to me? Are the landlords deluded that things will return to as they were?

A room in my own apartment has been left vacant since May. The landlord seen an opportunity to increase rent on the room and more or less took an unsympathetic view with my housemate who had been at the property for 4 years previous and had been put on furlough. He has lost about 6k in rent as a result.

I'm struggling to get into my mind of how rental prices are not falling. On the front of it, it seems like delusion and greed on the landlords part.
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement