Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sockets not working but RCD not tripped

Options
  • 10-01-2021 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Quick question.
    So two of my sockets were not working. I opened them up. One has a loose connection (I tightened and fixed it). The other one, when I opened up had burnt out socket interior. We don't need that, so I just closed it back up.
    Now I switch on the power and four (other) sockets are not working.
    The RCD is not tripped.

I checked everything, including the two sockets I opened up. No Luck.

Any pointers appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

everything else is working, including the lights.
    Maybe the wire is burnt, I can't think of anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Sounds like a broken connection, likely at one of the points you had open.

More significantly, what you describe suggests the installation may be unsafe and the advice would be that you engage an electrical contractor to check it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The RCD may have tripped but looks like it is on. Switch the RCD off and on again.

Edit: I misread the OP. The other posters are correct, a loose connection is the most likely cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

There is most likely a broken connection at one of the sockets as another poster said.

You need to replace that burnt out socket regardless of whether you use it or not as it's still carrying power to the next sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

If you have what looks like a burnt socket internals I wouldn’t be leaving RCD on. Get electrician in to repair and check wiring particularly as you found other loose connections. Burnt wires is not normal or safe.

• Advertisement

Yeah the wires are also burnt.
    Thanks guys, I will reach out to an electrician and report back.

Electrician came in today and fixed the issue. I had bought a new socket, but did not fix it fearing the burnt wires and previous socket. He replaced it.
    Eur 40 charged

Advertisement