Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night terrors

Options
  • 09-01-2021 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

My 7 year old son suffers from night terrors for about 2 years. Sometimes he has none for weeks, then he might have 3 in a week.

My wife video’dhis night terrors last night. She has not done so yet, but is half thinking of showing him the video so he can understand what they are as he has no recollection of these events.

Is this a bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

obi604 wrote: »
    My 7 year old son suffers from night terrors for about 2 years. Sometimes he has none for weeks, then he might have 3 in a week.

My wife video’dhis night terrors last night. She has not done so yet, but is half thinking of showing him the video so he can understand what they are as he has no recollection of these events.

Is this a bad idea?

Well what's the intention?

I'd imagine if he wakes the next morning and had no recollection, why stress him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I imagine it will only traumatise him. What does she think will happen when he sees it? He can't snap himself out of them. Have you spoken to a GP or anyone for support? Have you noticed any triggers? My three year old sometimes gets them when he is over tired and my brother got them until he was about 10 when he was really anxious about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭obi604

Hoboo wrote: »
    Well what's the intention?

I'd imagine if he wakes the next morning and had no recollection, why stress him out?

I’m trying to figure that out myself :)
    Asking her what she is trying to achieve etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I’m trying to figure that out myself :)
    Asking her what she is trying to achieve etc.

Yeah didn't make sense to me as I'm not sure what it would achieve, unless he was upset by them and it was maybe to show him he's safe and you're there beside him when it happens. But I don't know, just playing devil's advocate. I hope you get sorted whatever you do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭misc2013

Hoboo wrote: »
    Yeah didn't make sense to me as I'm not sure what it would achieve, unless he was upset by them and it was maybe to show him he's safe and you're there beside him when it happens. But I don't know, just playing devil's advocate. I hope you get sorted whatever you do :)

My son had them between 2 and 3. Grew out of them thankfully but they were awful. I remember being told it was to do with overtiredness but never really knew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Remove Video games and tv an hour before bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Is this a bad idea?

For gods sake, dont do that,I really despair for some people, what their thought processes are, wind down before bed, for longer than whatever is happening now, no tv, video games as highlighted

Advertisement