Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing 4sq with 6/10

Options
  • 09-01-2021 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

My kitchen has a single 4sq for my oven and hob. Unfortunately it won't be enough to power a double oven and an induction hob. So i need to run an additional cable.
    Before I go the more difficult route of running conduit outside and burying some swa is there an easier approach?
    Forgive me if this is a stupid idea but is there any way of using to the current cable to fish and pull through some 6/10sq?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

Why don’t you install a gas hob. Far superior job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Gas isn't available everywhere and Ive no interest in keeping a gas bottle outside.

Besides induction hobs are a big jump up in usability. Far safer, quicker and more control over low heats. Gas is great but there's never really a simmer option!

Ah ok that’s fair enough.You will need a registered electrician for your upgrade as it’s domestic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Wesekn.

The existing cable will probably do for the oven

Prob an extra 6 for the hob

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Gas?

No it's not an induction hob is far superior and is ridiculously controllable.

I'm tired of seeing people post this nonsense. Gas has lots of drawbacks put sure.... It's authentic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭meercat

stesaurus wrote: »
    My kitchen has a single 4sq for my oven and hob. Unfortunately it won't be enough to power a double oven and an induction hob. So i need to run an additional cable.
    Before I go the more difficult route of running conduit outside and burying some swa is there an easier approach?
    Forgive me if this is a stupid idea but is there any way of using to the current cable to fish and pull through some 6/10sq?

Thanks!

Double oven and induction hob. My advice is to run 2 6mm circuits. One for each. The existing 4mm is probably the old red/black
    If this is a new kitchen then I’d advise installing new socket circuits at the same time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Wesekn. wrote: »
    The existing cable will probably do for the oven

Prob an extra 6 for the hob

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Any thoughts or tips to make the job easier? Is it possible to use the older cable to pull through newer?

I should mention a reci will be doing all the usual stuff. I'm just doing the gruntwork prior to his visit.

Kitchen is already in as it's a new build. I really wish they would over spec things for future proofing instead of going the cheapest option when building.

stesaurus wrote: »
    Any thoughts or tips to make the job easier? Is it possible to use the older cable to pull through newer?

I should mention a reci will be doing all the usual stuff. I'm just doing the gruntwork prior to his visit.

Kitchen is already in as it's a new build. I really wish they would over spec things for future proofing instead of going the cheapest option when building.
    A 4sq would be unusual it's probably a 6

That won't be enough for a double oven and induction hob

Another 6 for the hob will do

listermint wrote: »
    Gas?

No it's not an induction hob is far superior and is ridiculously controllable.

I'm tired of seeing people post this nonsense. Gas has lots of drawbacks put sure.... It's authentic...

I won’t derail the op topic here any more after this post but if you can’t control cooking on a gas hob the same as electric you need to subscribe to a life time of takeaways.

• Advertisement

I won’t derail the op topic here any more after this post but if you can’t control cooking on a gas hob the same as electric you need to subscribe to a life time of takeaways.

I would have thought gas was better

Have all the tv chefs switched to induction hobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Wesekn. wrote: »
    I would have thought gas was better

Have all the tv chefs switched to induction hobs

Gas was far superior to the older electric elements or ceramic plates. I’m reliably informed that the new induction hobs are a step up from gas in terms of being able to control heat levels very accurately.

I think there has been a move by some of the tv/top chefs to induction.

A good quality semi-commercial gas hob with a correctly sized supply is still a fine beast!

Advertisement